Stove draft vs wind direction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Is it unusual for a stove to draft more during certain wind speeds and direction

• Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osagebndr

Minister of Fire
Feb 20, 2014
Central Indiana
I noticed this morning that my stove is drafting more with the wind coming from the n.e. than usual is this a common thing? I was already thinking that I might need 2 more ft. Of chimney anyway to clear my roof peak as my stove gives me a hard time with burning some of our dry wood ( 15-20% moisture) anyway. Never seems to breath real good

It depends on the chimney location in relation to the house and local terrain. If the chimney is drafting weakly at times and this is not due to clogging, then it may need more pipe. Describe the whole flue system from stove to chimney cap. Include height and elbows, tees, etc. if there are any. Do you have some pictures of the chimney setup?

I have approx 40" of double wall stove pipe to 8 ft of double wall insulated stainless chimney pipe . Around 11.5 ft of chimney all together. Need to check the height coming out I believe my installer didn't make it tall enough to start with. Will get some pics together soon of it.

Thanks for the quick reply. The chimney is straight up and out by the way.

I have approx 40" of double wall stove pipe to 8 ft of double wall insulated stainless chimney pipe . Around 11.5 ft of chimney all together. Need to check the height coming out I believe my installer didn't make it tall enough to start with. Will get some pics together soon of it.
That's a short chimney by today's standards. EPA stoves are tested with a 15' chimney.

Last edited:
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I thought it might be. The stove manual says something about 15 ft. Of chimney also. May put couple more ft on top this summer, we are also looking in to a stove that will have longer burn times and putting this one in the pole barn for some good heat

You're not far off. Another couple feet should help.

The front of our house faces south, and we have several large trees in the front (considerably taller than the house). If we get a nice sustained wind out of the south, the stove draw decreases. This is the old downdraft principle. It has to be a strong sustained wind, but you can definitely tell when you go to reload on one of those days.

is it measured from the top of stove, or the floor? Probably still too short is the problem,,,just been noticing manuals stating different places to measure from, but if stove is included, might barely make minumum.

I measured mine from top of stove up. Our house was a basement home built in the 50' s . It had a garage built above and in front of it that was made into sort of an upstairs part if the house. T - shaped house the leg being the basement area where our stove is. Didn't take much to run the chimney out of it. Don't even have to run the stove very hard and it's 80 upstairs.

EPA testing is 15' of flue + or - 1 ft from the platform of the scale the stove sits on. You are close. Possibly you may be getting some wind interference from adjacent roofs or terrain.

Thanks for that info. I do live in a real hilly area with lots of trees. If it flooded here it would be a mote around us lol. But that would make it approx. 14.5 ft total

Mines about 2-3' too short to clear roofline 8' away. So the wind will play with the fire for sure. Comes from the south, goes over the roof and pushes down. Comes from the west/north, sweeps along roof and over cap and increases draw for moments, depending on sustained burst. Usually has to be a pretty good burst though, over 30 mph, which is luckily more common for me on warmer days. When it gets cold (under 20) a system has usually settled and winds die down here.

We usually get winds from the south here and I get a pretty good draft. The other day when I posted this thread the wind was straight out of the west I believe and the stove was drafting like crazy. Had to shut the draft slides to keep it a descent temp. Around 400 deg. And from burning the load too quick

Status
Not open for further replies.