Stove fans?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

baspinall

Oct 16, 2010
S. E. PA
I am running a F2400 Regency with the airmate and fan. Curious if everyone that is running fans run them 24/7? I am talking when you are burning 24/7. Are the fans built to last? I hope so because they are not cheap that's for sure.

Brian

Great question. My Avalon wood stove came with one as well and we run ours about halfway when the thermostat kicks it on. If not it would be sweltering near the stove. Not sure if they are made to run all the time or not but for a $300 accessorie it better be good for a few years at least.

We've had stoves with fans but no longer. Some stoves, or inserts definitely need fans to blow the heat out but most free standing stoves do not. Our free standing stove does not have a fan but we do run a fan most of the time. We have a Vornado fan by the stove and run it on low. If it gets cold in the far rooms, we set a small vornado fan on the floor of the hallway and blow (low speed) the cool air towards the stove room and the back rooms heat up quite fast.

The fans will last varying amounts of time. We had one that lasted one year and another that lasted 2 years. Yet I know of people who have had fans last 10 years. It all depends, I guess. But I would not be concerned over how long it lasts so much as I would be concerned if the stove wasn't heating as well as you want. Fans do have their purpose.

Yeah, I figured as much with the fans on the stoves. I questioned myself when I added it to my purchase. We have tried the floor fan on low in a couple areas so far. Even with the floor fan blowing towards the stove room it doesn't do as nice as I'd like it to. I should do a new post with my floor layout. it's kinda weird.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.