Stove feasibility

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulharman

Aug 5, 2014
Maidenhead, England
Hi there,

I wonder if anyone is able to help? We have recently opened up our fireplace and are considering using it again. It would be more for decoration on those dark winters nights than purely to heat the room, but are considering getting a stove. However, when looking at the chimney, it is not an open chimney as I was expecting, but rather a narrow (~5 inch) flue. The top of the fireplace does not look in great condition either.

I have uploaded some pictures here which hopefully you can see: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B49oCat-LVkYcGNKMjJaNmEtQWs&usp=sharing

Can anyone offer some advice as to if it would be possible, and if so what would be required in order to fit a stove?

Many thanks
cleardot.gif

Have a certified chimney sweep look over the situation. If the fireplace was closed off it may have been for safety reasons. The sweep should investigate the integrity of the chimney flue. If it is compromised ask what the remedy its.

Status
Not open for further replies.