Stove for 5 inch flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alb

Apr 17, 2013
Northampton, MA
Are there any new wood stoves available that can be installed into a 5" flue?

I have a voucher from the state of Massachusetts to replace an old inefficient stove, therefore the new stove:

- must be purchased new from a dealer registered with the voucher program (I assume the dealer has to be located in Massachusetts, but I'm not sure).
- must be installed by the dealer who certifies that the old stove has been taken out of service and the new stove has been properly installed in the same spot.
- must be able to pass a building inspection.

I'm told there are stoves that would work ok, but the dealer I've been talking to doesn't think so.

Thanks for any advice.

If the chimney is extremely tall you may be able to run a 6" stove, but I believe I've read some of the Euro stoves have 5" flues.

You might be happier if you upgraded to a complete 6" system rather than trying to find any stove that will fit and not be happy with it.

Matt

Some of the smaller Jotuls and Morsos have a 120mm flue collar which is almost 5". They should work ok. Look at the Morso 2B for instance.

Welcome to the forum alb. Woodstock is in that program although they are located in NH. As for the 5" chimney, that is not ideal but if it is tall enough it might work out okay. For sure you will want to make certain your wood is very dry so you don't get creosote because it would not take long to plug that size chimney. Three years after split and stacked = excellent dry wood. Less than that many have lots of problems and with a smaller chimney I'd expect some so you want to make certain of your fuel.

I would like to second the request for knowing what stove you are replacing. Was it a stand alone stove, or an insert of any type??

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. The stove we're replacing is a Jotul 118 installed in the basement. It was installed by a previous owner of the house so it's at least 20 years old. The new model (F118 CB) calls for a 6" flue connection, but this one connects to a 5" flue.

The chimney is not very tall - the house is a ranch.

It looks like several of the smaller Jotul stoves have a 120 or 125 mm opening, but there is a collar in the US models that flare it out to 6 inches.

I'll keep working on it - I appreciate your advice.

Why is the F118 being replaced? Is it shot?

Can you describe the current flue system in detail on the 118 from stove to chimney cap?

I'm sort of a "if it ain't broke" kinda guy. The F1118 is a good workhorse.

In order to know how well a 6" outlet stove will work we'll need some more info. With a short chimney in the basement this could be a better stove to use unless it is connected to a chimney of larger diameter. It breathes easier than a modern EPA stove. We need specifics and maybe some inside and outside pictures too.

Status
Not open for further replies.