Stove for Barn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

plkjr

Oct 22, 2013
NJ
Could use some advice on appropriate stove for a small barn that we've converted into a "man cave." Dimensions are about 20'x30', with 15' peaked ceiling. No insulation. Would like to install small stove in the corner that would make the space usable into (if not through) the winter in NJ. Found a VC Intrepid (I think Intrepid I) for sale, with all chimney parts for $1200. First off, is that an appropriate stove for this use? What's a fair price, assuming reasonable condition? If not the right stove, any suggestions on what VC model to look for? Thanks.

I would recommend NOT getting any VC model. In the olden days, they made excellent stoves. The company is no longer owned or operated by those people.

You have two big problems. No insulation, and inermittent use. You will need a stove that can make gobs and gobs of heat to rapidly warm that place up. Go big, real big.

I just put a stove in my shed and chose an Englander NC30 brand new from home depot.

Thanks. That makes sense. Any thoughts on the whether the Englander 17-vl would throw enough heat? I kind of like the smaller footprint (and lower price).

I put a lopi republic in my 24 x 32 barn. I have r30 in the celing and just those 4x8 sheets of foamular r7.5 in the walls for insulation and it works real good.

Any thoughts on the whether the Englander 17-vl would throw enough heat? I kind of like the smaller footprint (and lower price).

Just about any stove that you can get nearly red hot will feel pretty good when you back your rump up to it. If you have any desire to actually heat the space or if you have more than a few guys warming themselves at once then you need more than the smaller Englander. The price difference must be very small, the big 30 was only 899$. That's cheap.

I would also look at the 2 cu ft Englander 13NC or for a closer corner clearance stove with easier hearth requirements, the TrueNorth TN19 or Napoleon Timberwolf 2200.

I thought there was a collective, nation wide agreement not to use the term "man cave." anymore. : )

Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, I agree re using term "man cave" -- no more. Just need a better way to describe it.

My only concern with going larger on the stove is that the area for TV viewing is only about 10 ft away from where the stove needs to go. That said, seems like the larger/medium units can run at a lower burn.

I call my shop a man-cave. My wife certainly has no desire to hang out there.

I call my shop a man-cave. My wife certainly has no desire to hang out there.

Oddly, a woman cave can be attractive to men.

I refuse to use the term man-cave. All I can picture is a dude's rear end.

;hm I did a search on the term in this forum. There are 7 pages of links.

Status
Not open for further replies.