Stove for heating 2345 sq ft in Southern coastal Virginia?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dboyd351

Sep 19, 2015
Cape Charles, VA
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum. I'm looking for a stove to heat my 2345 sq ft 1 1/2 story home in coastal Southern VA. The house is almost new (built in 2007), was built with 2x6 studs for more insulation capacity and has doors and windows to spec for coastal hurricane/storm events. So, it should be pretty easy to heat for it's size. We get temps in the 20s to low 30s during December - March, but most years not much lower. Lowest I've ever seen here since 2007 was 7 degrees, but even the teens is extreme for my area.
A friend who used to sell wood stoves in upper NY has suggested I get a stove sized for a smaller house so I can burn it hot and reduce creosote formation. He also advises against CAT stoves because of maintenance/failure issues. It has been about 15 years since he sold stoves, so I'm not sure how much technology would have changed and affected his advice. Even if non CAT stoves are best for most, with my less intense heat needs the lower efficiency might be worth the trade off for less maintenance.
There aren't a lot of people who heat with stoves or stove dealers here, so good advice is limited. I used to heat my home with a wood stove when I lived for a year or so in N CA, so I'm not TOTALLY ignorant, but I bought that house with the stove already installed, so I didn't have to figure anything out.
I really want a stove that will take a 20 inch split minimum, since I have 2-3 cords of seasoned cherry and oak already cut and split - most is 16-18 inches, but some is up to 20 inches. I want a stove with a good view of the fire and one that will leave enough coals to start the fire back up in the morning by just throwing in a few splits.

Stoves I've looked at online include Drolet HT2000, Drolet Blackcomb, Vogelzang Mountaineer, Blaze King Briarwood II and Princess. Also looked at some Lopis, but like a lot of stoves, the ones intended for heating smaller spaces often won't take a log over 18 inches. The store with the Lopis also had Vermont Castings, but they are expensive and seem to have fallen out of favor, plus don't take 20 inch splits. There are VERY few stoves to look at in person here, or knowledgeable salespeople to ask. I was very impressed with the Drolet HT2000 reviews and had that stove all ready to go as my choice until my "advisor" told me it was too much stove for my needs because of climate and such. The Blackcomb looks about the right size, but I can't find almost any reviews on it. I can get the Briarwood pretty cheap ($1325) because it has been sitting at the dealer (who mostly services pools) for 2 years in storage! Can't find many reviews on the Briarwood either.

It is also hard for me to tell if I should be picking the stove by recommended sq. ft., BTUs, or firebox size. I know I'd like it to take a 20 inch split, but how big a box is it going to take to leave me with coals in the morning?

My house currently heats with a heat pump which seems very inefficient and never gives you the cozy feeling of a fire or wood stove. I loved my stove in N CA and like cutting wood, at least for a couple of hours at a time. Also just bought a logsplitter.

Any advice and recommendations are appreciated!

Never seen a Briarwood anywhere but Blaze King's website. Their catalytic stoves are where it's at.

Don't get hung up on the 20" split thing. If you only have 2-3 cords that have the occasional long one, it would make more sense to me to trim those, instead of seriously limiting stove choices.

My guess is that anything in the 2-3 cu ft range should get it done. Maybe supplementing with whatever your heat pump on the coldest days.

Do not be afraid of catalytic stoves. A lot has changed in fifteen years. Blaze King and Woodstock seem to be the top dogs when it comes to cat stoves. And customer service. Personally, I'd look hard at the BK Princess or Ashford/Sirocco/Chinook 30.

Budget is probably important to know, as well. And keep in mind the chimney can cost as much or more than the stove.

I strongly prefer stoves that take 18" wood, or longer as I do not like to have to buck shorter sticks, nor handle as many pieces. But I would not let a few odd lengths in your woodpile dictate what stove you buy.

I heat a slightly larger house of similar design/construction in a climate only a bit harsher here in SW Missouri with a Jotul Oslo. It would be a good, solid choice in an EPA rated non-cat stove.

That said, with your coastal climate I am going to suggest the opposite of your expert consultant - get a cat stove. You are going to have many, many days of milder temperatures and a cat stove is far more controllable. As long as the cat remains engaged you can turn it down far more and still not build up creosote. The Blaze King Princess would be an excellent choice. The Woodstock Progress is one I personally would consider as well. Both are a bit spendy.

Modern cat stoves are not dramatically more maintenance intensive than non-cat. It is true that you will have to clean the catalyst every year and replace it maybe very five to seven years, but that is really not that big a deal.

You might also want to look at the more affordable Woodstock Ideal Steel.

My short list in your situation would be the Englander 30, Several Buck Stoves (both cat and non-cat) and Pacific Energy's Summit/ T6 Stoves. Just my two cents..

Thanks for the replies guys. Food for thought. I agree about a few longer sticks in the woodpile shouldn't dictate the choice, but I really prefer 16-18 inch wood minimum and I'd like a little leeway. Part of it is the guys I cut with don't use wood stoves (they sell campfire wood) and aren't aware of the need to cut things shorter, so bigger wood finds it's way into my pile and I don't like the safety aspect of re-cutting 20 inch wood with my foot on one end of it. I agree the Princess seems about ideal if I get a cat stove. I looked briefly at the Ideal steel, but I think it was the Ideal Steel Hybrid. Have not looked at the Jotul Oslo yet.

I am coming to the conclusion that the 2-3 cu ft range is what I need. Thanks for that suggestion.

I appreciate all your help.

This is what I built to trim splits. Safely makes pretty quick work of a few days worth of wood. And the chunks burn for a long time in a BK.

image.jpeg

Just sayin, split length shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Stoves of that size that will take a 20"+ split will likely load E/W. May or may not mean much to you, but I like a square firebox that is more conducive to loading either way. It's a lot easier to fill the box to capacity loading spits straight in.

blaze king, enough said. ;)

Jeff T - like your split trimming rack. I need to build something like that. Nice saw, too.

I made it about 16" deep. My King would take another inch or so in the bottom row of splits, so that left me enough room to keep the chain off the rack. I ran the felling spike along the edge and it worked out perfectly.

The deep belly of the King and Princess allows for an extra couple of inches once you get above the bottom row of fire bricks. Don't remember the exact measurement, but I know I could get a few 20"+ splits in it.

Saw is for sale ;)

Do some research, a lot of it actually. I have myabe 3-4 experience burning wood half is with non car stove the other cat stove.

My king ultra is awesome and i like that im not filling it all the time.

Have you checked out Fireplace Supply in Berlin, MD? Not sure if the stoves they carry would interest you or not. I have had great experience with them and their prices were very reasonable compared to others. Just curious since there are not a lot of dealers on the eastern shore of VA.

Reactions: dboyd351
Thanks for the info Drewberry. You are right, stove dealers on VA's Shore are virtually non-existant. I did find out about the Survival Products dealer in Salisbury, but didn't know about the one in Berlin. I see you've got a Regency. How do you like it? Is that one of the many brands made by SBI industries? I've been looking hard at a number of differently badged, SBI made stoves (Drolet, Osburn, etc.). Seems like they have a pretty wide selection of well built non-CAT stoves. I know a guy from a chainsaw site who has been running 2 Centurys for 15 years and is well pleased with them.

I believe the Regencys are made by Fireplace Products International. After 2 years I have no complaints with mine. It heats our house just fine, about 10 hour burn time. I cannot recall what other brands of stove Fireplace Supply in Berlin has. They actually used to be in New Church, right on 13 in Virginia. Survival Products is also good people. They carry Quadrafire, Jotul, Harman, Hearthstone, and Heatilator.

Another vote for a cat stove here. The controls on them are borderline silly. I grew up with an old cast iron "smokedragon", and up until yesterday that's all I've ever known. Any adjustments you made on it were a little more than a guess, and no windows to see what was going on inside. Couldn't get much more than a 4 hr burn.

To adjust the cat stoves? Turn a dial. That's it. Response is damn near instantaneous. I can't get enough of those funky floating flames at the top of the box.. and those suckers can burn for 24 hours, or even more!

I ended up with a Blaze King Ashford.. was also really impressed with the Woodstock offerings though, both Ideal Steel and Progress.

The best stove for you is the one you can get and afford. The style of stove (non-cat or cat) isn't critical, both will work fine for you if you operate them properly and provide good seasoned wood, that is the real key. A lot of people will say their stove of choice, try to get a stove that you can get service readily for, I would suggest a stove company that's been making stoves a while such as Jotul, Quadrafire, Blazeking, Enviro, Lopi, PE and Englander. All of these stoves will do great heat if ran properly with dry seasoned wood. Jotul is amongst the best cast iron stoves (espec the F500 Oslo), Blazeking is the one if you want a cat stove, Enviro, Lopi, PE, Englander are all great steel stoves, all quality heaters. For your heating desires, the Oslo, Blazeking Princess or Ashford 30, Enviro Boston or Kodiak 1700, Lopi Liberty, PE Super 27 or Summit and the NC-30 would be my suggestions to look at, weigh the factors and get one. Just remember, good dry seasoned wood is the key. Good luck in your hunt.

Sounds like good, well rounded advice, Stovelark. I know in a forum like this you will always get some who say there is only one right way to do things because they are passionate about their stoves. But in reality both CAT and NON CAT stoves will heat your house, they just have different strong points. Same for cast iron vs steel vs soapstone. I appreciate the recommendations in all categories. And I'm sure you are right in saying all will burn much better with good dry seasoned wood, That's where I'm in pretty good shape, having already cut, split and stacked 2-3 cords of cherry, oak, pecan and maple. For my climate that should get me thru this winter, I think. Now to start working on next winter's woodpile.;)

Hi DBoyd, agreed we are all biased towards our own brands and models... I do know from selling stoves and running them at home there are many good options. Good to hear about the ready wood supply, you mentioned having pecan too. My Grandpa many years ago had a very large pecan orchard in Southern Alabama and when he would lose a tree for some reason, he supplied the pecan wood to Emperor clock Co of Fairhope Alabama for their clock cabinets, beautiful stuff. It bothered him to see or hear of anyone burning pecan ha. Good luck with your search.

Stovelark, it might make you feel a little better to know I had one of the cherries milled into boards to make my daughter a chest from, like my Dad did for me with a fallen walnut tree. Those boards are drying on my back porch as we speak. I agree with your grandfather, it is a shame to burn beautiful wood. We had a tornado come thru here last year and it dropped some trees I'd much rather see standing. I did my best to put them to good use.

P.S. My avatar shows a friend cutting on an oak that came down in that storm. Well over 100 years old and something like 6 feet DBH.

Reactions: stovelark
Status
Not open for further replies.