Stove for setting up in the backyard during the fall / early winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have a backyard fire-pit that is pretty sucky with the wind changing directions constantly. My idea was to buy a Vogelzang box stove for $149 from the factory (if you pick it up in Holland, MI) and run 8 feet of stove pipe vertical. That way, if the wind is blowing, the smoke will be overhead and not in my face. Before I get ripped for thinking this, does anyone think this will work? I am not installing this in a house, so if it's not the greatest engineered marvel, it's not going to ruin my life either. Plus, it's 80 pounds which gives great portability for storage once cool.

I just want to enjoy a few beers on a Friday evening / Saturday with friends or my wife and be comfortable as the temps drop outside. I think if this thing gets glowing hot as it's been described, that might not be the end of the world especially with a flue damper installled to cut some of the run-away tendencies with non airtight stoves.

Any thoughts? The other option is a Kni-Co outfitter tent stove. Those are about $300 with a few pieces of 5 inch single-wall pipe included.

My brother once ran a 1970's Hearthstone beast outside before installing it. It is the same size as an Equinox and kept everything really warm around it. That's what gave me the idea.

Your going to love this outdoor smoke dragon.jpg

LOL! That's how to convert your smoke dragon into a fire-breathing monster!

I have a fireplace on the back patio. Nothing you can park a small car in, but it does the job. We honestly don't find much use for it. House I grew up in had a large granite fireplace structure in the back yard, with a grill on the "front" side, and a large fireplace around the "back". It got a lot of use, but that was mostly drunken barbeques and late nights in my early 20's.

These are neat. A neighbor of my mom has one of these. They come in different sizes and you can move them around. I had thought of getting one in the past, but I plan on building the keyhole one designed by Scotty. If you really wanted more of an upright structure, one of the precast products might do the trick. Although I really like the firedragon I sent you before. That is a picture I had seen on pinterest awhile back and had saved it because it was so unique and the person that did it really had to have had a great sense of humor

http://www.precastoutdoorfireplaces.com/

These are neat. A neighbor of my mom has one of these. They come in different sizes and you can move them around. I had thought of getting one in the past, but I plan on building the keyhole one designed by Scotty. If you really wanted more of an upright structure, one of the precast products might do the trick. Although I really like the firedragon I sent you before. That is a picture I had seen on pinterest awhile back and had saved it because it was so unique and the person that did it really had to have had a great sense of humor

http://www.precastoutdoorfireplaces.com/

Those are kind of neat looking.

Also, I did the keyhole fire pit based on the same design this weekend. Wife and I dug out the pit and placed in the fieldstone in one weekend. It was pretty easy. Would have been easier if our property didn't have so much stone in the ground. It makes digging a pain in the ass.

But, on the other hand, the fire pit didn't cost us a dime since all the stone we used for the pit came right from out property. I'll post some pics of it later.

Your going to love thisView attachment 69316

I am sold. Thank you! I have read about these and they get run away flames from poor air control. My thought is to run 2 four foot sections of single wall with a damper installed in route to reduce draft and keep a little more heat in the stove where it can radiate out on those chilly November days!

Now, where do I get one of those custom stove pipes? ::-)

Those are kind of neat looking.

Also, I did the keyhole fire pit based on the same design this weekend. Wife and I dug out the pit and placed in the fieldstone in one weekend. It was pretty easy. Would have been easier if our property didn't have so much stone in the ground. It makes digging a pain in the ass.

But, on the other hand, the fire pit didn't cost us a dime since all the stone we used for the pit came right from out property. I'll post some pics of it later.

I want to thank Browning Bar for teaching me how to use my air control on my Hearthstone. I didn't understand it at all the first season other than open for getting the fire going.

I want to thank Browning Bar for teaching me how to use my air control on my Hearthstone. I didn't understand it at all the first season other than open for getting the fire going.

No problem. Glad I could help!

Reactions: firecracker_77
A stove in the yard is great. That is where my old insert is located and a good lawn chair and table for the beer. Get as tall a pipe as you can so the smoke goes up the pipe not out the open door. I recently extended mine to ten feet.

A stove in the yard is great. That is where my old insert is located and a good lawn chair and table for the beer. Get as tall a pipe as you can so the smoke goes up the pipe not out the open door. I recently extended mine to ten feet.

Come on BBart...... Pics....????

Never happened ......... ;)

Come on BBart...... Pics....????

Never happened ......... ;)

Those pics have been up here at least a dozen times. Search for "redneck smoker". Posted at least once a year since 2007.

Reactions: DexterDay
Don't tell me you've never seen his file cabinet smoker... :rolleyes:

have you looked for chimnea's sounds like that would be what you are looking for. if you have access to a welder,steel and some heavy screening(like grating) i could draw you up a set of plans for one. i played with the idea several years back , we(ESW) were looking at them back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.