Stove for the basement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadD

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2012
Connecticut
I have been burning for 2 seasons now in my Enviro Boston 1700 insert and it does very well heating the entire main floor and upstairs (1664) sq ft to a comfortable 70-75 degrees unless it is less than 5-10 degrees. I put a GE Geospring electric hot water heater in the basement last summer so I could turn the boiler off for my domestic hot water. With the boiler being off and the heat pump water heater running it was pretty cold in the basement this winter. I recently finished half of the 832 sq ft basement and have a spot to put a wood stove. I was leaning toward a blaze king princess due to the long advertised burn times on low and wanting to have more control over the heat level in the 400 sq ft finished area where the stove will be located. Ultimately I want to keep the basement at a reasonable temp without being a slave to 2 stoves and in the event of a power outage being able to heat the entire house without relying on a blower on the insert with the concern of not being to hot in the finished side of the basement. My local dealer offered me a Enviro Kodiak 1700 Floor model for $1500 and said the blaze kings don't really burn as long as advertised. I thought I was decided on a stove now I am confused as to what to get any input or recommendations will be appreciated.

Last edited:
I'll bet your dealer has never run a Blaze King.

Is there a decent way to vent excess heat from the basement upstairs via a staircase if you had a stove down there? Note that in a power outage the Geospring won't be cooling down the basement.

I think your right on track with your thinking.
It will work well in 400 sq.ft of basement. you might need to leave a door open to the upstairs at times though.

Status
Not open for further replies.