Q&A Stove for tightly built house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I'm building an ICF (insulated concrete form) home in the spring. Several HVAC experts have warned me that this house will be so tight I will need an air-to-air heat exchanger (already planned) and a sealed-combustion wood stove (not planned...). Help! Who makes such an animal. BTW, it's going in the living room, not the basement, so don't tell me about a whole-house solution that I have to go outside to feed.... The closest I've come to finding one is mention of kits for some brands that will allow connection of a combustion air feed.

Answer:

Stoves with an external air feed should do the job for you. If there is enough air for normal living then there should be enough for these stoves. The exception might be if you were to want a stove with doors that stay open for viewing, but this is probably not a good idea for your application.
Many, if not most, stoves built today have outside air attachment.

Status
Not open for further replies.