Stove & Gasket Cement vs Furnace Cement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

milesmoony

Dec 8, 2019
Olympic Peninsula
Which is the proper application for each? I need to reassemble my wood stove (Jotul 602 knockoff) where all the piece basically bolt together, so I need to put some cement in the joints. Which would be a better bet here?

Use their furnace cement for the seams. I prefer to use high-temp RTV for the stove door gasket.

The stove/gasket cement I've used is thinner and kind of runny..not great for assembly.
20200415_144106.jpg

The stove/gasket cement I've used is thinner and kind of runny..not great for assembly.
View attachment 259351
I tried that product a few years ago and found the same thing. You have squeeze mix it in the tube first. Tossed it out and will not use it again.

I tried that product a few years ago and found the same thing. You have squeeze mix it in the tube first. Tossed it out and will not use it again.
Yeah, it will separate if it sits around for a while. It's good for gaskets, or to seal seams in a stone or cast iron stove, if you're not going to tear it down and use furnace cement. The gasket kit for the Keystone includes gasket glue for most, but furnace cement for the cast iron load door gasket, I guess because the load door gets pretty hot. I might try the runny stuff there instead, since the door will be removed and lying flat..

I definitely would not use that as a seam sealant.

I definitely would not use that as a seam sealant.
It would get into a seam way further than you could press in furnace cement, if you're not taking the stove apart..

Okay getting the furnace cement then. Does anyone know why Rutland products are so difficult to find? Every store in my area carries a different brand. Does anyone know if the imperial cement compares to Rutland?

Is there a Home Depot in the area? They carry Rutland products.