stove gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjorn773

Sep 12, 2007
Rockford, Illinois
I recently replaced the door gasket on my stove with Rutland's kit. It seemed to fit well, though I did not try the dollar bill trick afterward. The last few days I have noticed difficulty controlling the temp. I suspected a leak, so this morning I watched closely as the fire was going. I can see a visible gap between the door gasket and stove body on the hinge side. Apparently the gasket spread in the channel in the door, so it flattenned out. My question, would it be acceptable to put flat 3/4 x 1/4 gasket on the stove body to get the two to meet? If not, where can I get thicker rope type gasket material? I guess the obvious answer would be go back to the manufacturer, but I'd like to find something local. Any advice will be appreciated.

McMaster Carr has various sizes of stove gasketing and cement. I believe they are an Illinois company...that's sorda local.

I got mine from Ace Hardware. They even had the 1" stuff I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.