1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Stove Glove Fail

Post in 'The Gear' started by jatoxico, Jan 19, 2013.

1. jatoxico

jatoxico Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    FYI I have a pair of stove gloves like these. The sleeves must be made of polyester or something because I let one touch the glass and it burned/melted onto the glass. The room was pretty dark so I did not see it at first but I smelled something. Most has come off during the burn cycle but it may require a little scrubbing or work with a razor.

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Why in the heck would they make gloves for a stove out of a poly product? I use welding gloves. made out of thick cowhide, with long gaiters to protect your forearms. Using the same pair I started out with 5 or 6 years ago. I've gone so far as to pick up burning logs and put them in the ash bucket to take them outside (don't ask) before, and never got burnt.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  3. Richprint29

Richprint29 New Member

Loc:
    Newton NJ
    Agreed Scotty!! I also use the welding gloves. And yes they are up to the challenge when one needs to handle flaming wood!! Here's a tip also, always have both gloves on. This will prevent you from grabbing up one of your gloves with a load of wood heading for the stove. Yes I've done this. Glove #2 was never seen again.
    Backwoods Savage and ScotO like this.
  4. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I tried to look at your picture better to identify the gloves but when I click on them I just get a Hearth,com page with a bunch of info?
  5. ScotO

ScotO Guest

they are "Plow and Hearth" brand gloves....
  6. jatoxico

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    Sorry I didn't know it would do that, I just copied a pic off the site. No advert or knock on the gloves really just something I thought I would let folks know.

Scotty and Rich, these were a gift, my next pair will be welders gloves. I pick up burning logs with these too but I can feel the heat so gotta work real quick.
    Richprint29 likes this.
  7. jatoxico

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    I suppose the material in the sleeve offers enough protection for any burning embers encountered in an open fireplace but for the temps stoves are capable of reaching you got to watch. Had them for about 2 years, they're OK. Any recommendations for a decent pair of welding gloves?
  8. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Best thing to do is go to a local welding supplier, or look online. Get the good, cowhide leather gloves.....lots to choose from out there.
    jatoxico likes this.
  9. jatoxico

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    So this is probably not worthy of a great deal of discussion but the gloves are made of;
    35% leather
    25% flannel (prob lining)
    25% Kovanex
    15% syn leather

Was the gray (sleeve) part that melted.
  10. Richprint29

Richprint29 New Member

Loc:
    Newton NJ
    I got mine at Tractor Supply, they work fine
    ScotO and jatoxico like this.
  11. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    ScotO likes this.
  12. jatoxico

Loc:
    Long Island NY
  13. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    JA, get the to Home Boy Depot or True Value & snag a $10 pair while you shop.

HUGE difference !!!
    jatoxico likes this.
  14. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Right Dixie. We buy the cheap Home Cheapo welding gloves and they work fine. We get maybe 2 years out of a pair and they are less than $10. We're looking to replace our present pair as soon as we have to make a trip to the city. Not looking forward to that though.
  15. rawlins02

rawlins02 Member

Loc:
    Western Massachusetts
    Agree. I'm also using $10 welding gloves bought last year at a big box retailer. Working just fine.
  16. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    I use these. They are labled Nomax and Kevlar and are pretty much Fire Proof. I have grabbed flaming logs and glowing coals with no problem or any sign of burn at all. I am also a welder and blacksmith and have plenty of welding gloves but find these better for the stove. Less bulky and = or better protection with no burning at all. They are also rather cheap and in the $10 range. Just another option. Oh, you can also throw them in the laundry if clean gloves are your thing. DSCF9819.JPG

Attached Files:

jatoxico likes this.
  17. midwestcoast

midwestcoast Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Indiana
    Kinda disappointing, but good thing you were wearing the gloves!_g
    I went a season without stove gloves and have the scars to prove it. Then went another season where I wouldn't alway use them, and have the scars to prove that too. Slow learner, or just stubborn I guess. I have some cheapo welding gloves bought online & they are going on year 4 I think, good as new (well, not as pretty anymore). Longer is better. No new scars here in the last couple years, but my wife got one near her elbow from the handle retaining nut.