Stove goes out on low setting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnL48

Feb 21, 2014
NJ
I currently have two pellet stoves, 1 free standing in my shop and an insert heating my home. On both stoves when set on low, the flame will eventually go out and the stove kicks off on safety. Sometimes they go right out and sometimes they will burn for hours on low then just go out. I've tried every damper setting and use 2 different brand pellets, new england pellets and Omalley. What am I doing wrong ???

LBA = lower burn air

If you are burning at a low setting, it doesn't have enough oxygen to keep the fire roaring.

Although, I don't have that stove or heard much about them. I'm sure someone will chime in with experience in that line.

Here's the manual in case you don't have one: http://enviro.com/custom_content/do...n Empress-A FPI Domestic Technical Manual.pdf

When was the last time internal exhaust pathways and venting were cleaned ... best place to start. Usually need to do this every ton of pellets but may be more frequent on low burns...

Page 14 goes through a list of things to check: damper position, turn heat up (quality of pellets), auger trim, cleaning.

John, a lot of stoves have issues with a 1 burn rate. The easiest solution is to run on 2. If on t-stat, having the air damper set properly is important. With more Empress inserts, put the air damper all the way left, then move to the right about 3/8-1/2 inch. If its too far left, sometimes vacuum will be reduced enough on 1, and the stove will shut down. Sometimes too, on 1 if the exh temp falls enough, the proof of fire switch (especially if its dirty) will cause the stove to go into shutdown. On 1, if the damper is open too much, temp will drop and pellets burn through too quick, to sustain operation. Its an experiment to find where yours is happiest at. I find softwood pellets (Okies, Spruce Pointes, Cleanfire) to burn and heat the best. My two Enviros love em, but I will tell you, the EF3 will adjust to anything being analog dials for continuous adjustment of feed and air control. Good luck with yours. The Whitfield is model dependent, which one do you have?? The Adv-II is one of my favorite stoves, a super heater.

John, a lot of stoves have issues with a 1 burn rate. The easiest solution is to run on 2. If on t-stat, having the air damper set properly is important. With more Empress inserts, put the air damper all the way left, then move to the right about 3/8-1/2 inch. If its too far left, sometimes vacuum will be reduced enough on 1, and the stove will shut down. Sometimes too, on 1 if the exh temp falls enough, the proof of fire switch (especially if its dirty) will cause the stove to go into shutdown. On 1, if the damper is open too much, temp will drop and pellets burn through too quick, to sustain operation. Its an experiment to find where yours is happiest at. I find softwood pellets (Okies, Spruce Pointes, Cleanfire) to burn and heat the best. My two Enviros love em, but I will tell you, the EF3 will adjust to anything being analog dials for continuous adjustment of feed and air control. Good luck with yours. The Whitfield is model dependent, which one do you have?? The Adv-II is one of my favorite stoves, a super heater.

Thank you for the input. I have had the installer here with his meter a few times adjusting the air damper. He set it up and told me to leave it alone, however it seems when i leave the damper as you say The stove will stay on but I have to clean it every 12 to 16 hours due to the buildup in the burn pot, When I turn up the damper to keep the burn pot clean the stove shuts off when the thermostat kicks it to low. Changing pellet manufacturers doesn't matter. He told me to leave the damper alone, i didnt know I had to keep adjusting it ?

The Whitfield is model T300-P It heats up my 1500 sq ft shop with no problems. 1 question though, the manual says when on the thermostat the whitfield has 5 heat settings. For some reason this one only has three low, med and high although the led's on the panel say different ?

Status
Not open for further replies.