Stove got unplugged...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyMoe

Minister of Fire
Aug 2, 2012
Fairbanks, Alaska.
So it's -27 per news (Our outside thermometer only goes to -20)

Just got done watching the epic Starship Troopers,went down stairs, and brrrrrrrr is it cold.

Apparently the cat's got onto the stove cord, and un-plugged it. Downstairs was a cool 55 and the boiler was running grrrrrr. Plugged in the stove, threw in a handful of pellets for a faster start-up.Probably take a hour to warm the place back up.

Needless to say, glad I have back-up heat.

Also apparently have enough draft to not get any smoke/combustion problems, as there was no noticeable smell at all (The woman can smell the stove from upstairs, when I open it to scrape burn pot)

And I thought it was starting to get cold in NH, stay warm!

MightyMoe
How do you like the pellets from Fairbanks and what's the going price?

Curious on that too. They are not common to see here. The last stuff I saw was running over 8$ a bag, so around 400$ a ton. I think even oil heat would be cheaper!

268 a ton from Home Depot, blazers. (What I burn) lowes 12$ a bag. Walmart 6.50 for summers heat. And then we have our local pellets at 300 a ton, and they burn great but have 3 times the ash as Home Depot ones. I'm from anchorage originally, and most people are on natural gas, meaning less pellet demand down there. Our only option is oil here, so lots and lots of pellet users.

I also bought Blaszers from HD in ANC with military discount for $255. Thanks for the update on the Fairbanks pellets. AK

Haven't been in a Home Deport in years. Odd that Lowe's is priced much higher though.

With having natural gas it makes no sense cost wise to run a pellet stove.
Pellets would need to be about $140/ton to be the same cost as natural gas or firewood (and that's with paying $225/cord for firewood!)

I hear cat tastes like chicken;). At -27::F you could cook him on top of the P68

Reactions: briansol
cat was cold maybe? 268/5.36 for the blazers if my calculater correct, there making 105% over marked up ton price... OMG

Still cheapest pellets we can get Dave =/ Lowes is higher supposedly due to management / coupon issues, so they did not plan to sell bulk this year. Also I'd have to cook my better half if I cooked the cat.

Still cheapest pellets we can get Dave =/ Lowes is higher supposedly due to management / coupon issues, so they did not plan to sell bulk this year. Also I'd have to cook my better half if I cooked the cat.

I think you have the cooking order a bit wrong, if you were to cook the cat your better half would cook you ;) .

So it's -27 per news (Our outside thermometer only goes to -20)

Just got done watching the epic Starship Troopers,went down stairs, and brrrrrrrr is it cold.

Apparently the cat's got onto the stove cord, and un-plugged it. Downstairs was a cool 55 and the boiler was running grrrrrr. Plugged in the stove, threw in a handful of pellets for a faster start-up.Probably take a hour to warm the place back up.

Needless to say, glad I have back-up heat.

Also apparently have enough draft to not get any smoke/combustion problems, as there was no noticeable smell at all (The woman can smell the stove from upstairs, when I open it to scrape burn pot)

Maybe the cats were hot??

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
brrr. I'd have 3 bu heat sources myself but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.