Stove has been making much more noise lately.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Heating and cooling contraction noises.

It was sounding like a timer with the ticking yesterday. Today it sounds like something is being sauteed in oil. It really sounds like something is boiling in there!

Wood is dry. I wonder if I popped a weld or something?

Matt

Is the noise definitely coming from the stove and not the flue pipe?

HUH? when you find it let us know...never happened to us, 4 different stoves in 30 years.

It sounded like it was coming from the top half portion of the stove. Secondary tubes up to the coller.

The top was runnning 600 when I heard the boiling noises. I let the stove cool down and pulled the pipe. There's fly ash in it, but no creosote. I also looked at the top of my fire brick to see if creosote had dripped down on the brick and was boiling or something. Nothing odd there either. The house is still pretty warm from the fire earlier so I didn't light one tonight. I'll get it going strong tomorrow and see if I get any more noises.

Matt

My brand new jotul firelight ticks a little bit, usually seems to happen only when I change the air settings or have just added wood, when it's changing temperature. It doesn't do it for long, maybe a min or two, but goes away after that.

Mine often makes noise after I clean out the ash & start up again.

Mine is noisy going from cold start to ramp temp.
Sounds like a fast ticking clock.
Occasionally we get a noise that sound like.....ClurannnngK! But only when logs shift.
Sound familar?

I get that sound when logs shift! :lol:

It's 41 degrees outside so I don't have a fire going again. I normally don't hear as much noise as I have been lately. That and the boiling sound was a little different.

Matt

My stove makes a ton of clicking & ticking noises every time I take it from a cold stove up to 700 deg to lite off the secondary burn & then it ticks again when it cool down to cruising temp.

First the black single wall starts clik,clik,clic,clik, & later,when the stove body starts heating up
I hear a similar noise ,only not so fast & close together, but more slow & longer between clicks, coming from the stove body, not from the stove pipe.

This noise,i associate with metal being heated up quickly & I also associate the noise with an
approaching overfire condition, if the rapid heating is allowed to continue unabated for too long of a time.

However,I am right there,watching my stovepipe thermometer & my stovetop thermometer, ready to lower the primary air intake, when optimal temps have been reached.

I am wondering if you might have a stove gasket leak, letting too much primary air into your stove's combustion chamber.

likely locations to check would be the ash pan gasket & the door gasket with the dollar bill test.

Of course, everything I know about stoves , I learned here, so how good could my ideas ;-P really be.

I'd take a look,if it were my stove, if for no other reason, just to eliminate that posibility.

Who knows what you might find by actually inspecting the inside of the stove with a flashlight.
Just make sure to do it when the stove is cold.

The odd hot ember in your hair,if any,is no fun. So, clean out the stove first, it makes it easier to actually see the stove,instead of the ashes.

See if your owner's manual mentions anything about this in the troubleshooting section & if all else fails, call the number in the manual & talk to the factory stove guy to see what he thinks about it.

I JUST REREAD THE THREAD AGAIN, & a second oppionion would be to take off the stove pipe
I am assuming you have a stovetop collar, & shine a flashlight down into the collar hole to see if you can see any evidence of rain or snow or ice or creosote comming down the stove pipe into the secondary burn chamber & boiling or frying or maybe just sautaying.

Another worst case has you taking down the baffle plates for inspection of both the plates &
the interior of the secondary combustion chamber.

WHAT WAS THE OUTSIDE WEATHER,JUST BEFORE YOU FIRST HEAR THE NOISES. maybe it weather related. Something come down your stovepipe & land in your secondary burn chamber? DEAD BIRD ,MOUSE OR RAT IN THERE. Is you kitty cat & pet hamster accounted for ??
Should be just about done & ready to eat by now.yum,yum!! :vampire: :p

Wow, free troubleshooting with jokes, no extra charge!!! :lol:
I see by your signature line that you have a Century FW24007 , probably from lowes for around $659.oo to $899.oo . Is that made in China , or does some one else make it, elsewheres.

Actually,I hear that they are pretty decent stoves, especially for the money not spent.

mine is making alot of noises .. i let it cool all the way down today so i could clean the liner and stove .. i am thinking its from warming up from a cold start..
it is scary when your not used to it as i am not either.....

Status
Not open for further replies.