Stove, hearth, and chimney questions....Scan Anderson 10

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnhome

Oct 13, 2008
Summit CO
I posted a few days ago asking about chimney size and type of stove. I bought a Vermont Castings Encore Defiant 2140 in excellent condition and found a great deal on new 8" Class A chimney pipe. As it turns out, while planning and building my hearth set-up, I came across a good deal on a Scan Anderson 10 which I have bought. So the Encore will go up for sale. (Any idea as to fair price with matching enamel starter and 6 1/2" of matching enamel pipe? All the pipe is new in the box.
I will have around 21" of 8"class A chimney with an insulated Tee and about 4-5' of double wall stove pipe with 1 90 degree elbow. The Scan has a 6" flue collar. I'm planning to use a 6-8" increaser where it joins the Class A chimney. Any opinions as to draft issues? I can't really afford to buy new 6" chimney piope and I can't return the 8" pipe I have.
Next is the hearth. I will have a tiled floor and have poured in place a 3 1/2 thick concrete wall with a 2" airspace between it and the framing behind. There is fiberglass insulation in the stud cavities. For my clearance to combustbles, do I just figure to the wood studs? Is fibeglass considered a combustible?
Finally, anybody here have any experience with the Scan Anderson 10 stove, I really like the look and feel that while the VC may be better for longer burn times, I will be happier not having to learn the cat system. I know for some, looks are not too important but I have been slowly remodeling my home and the VC would not fit the house. I plan to heat with the Scan when I am at home(around 1200 sq/ft) and have electric baseboard for back-up. The only wood available here is softwoods, mostly lodgepole with some spruce, fir and aspen.
Thanks for all input, this is a great site.
Carl

I can only possibly help you with the stove pricing. Just sold my 1985 PE insert which was in excellent shape for $275. I started out asking $400 and got no takers. When I finally priced it right, the phone was practically ringing off the hook.

I`m thinking 200-300 is probably all you`re gonna get. And when you think about it--even the price of scrap metal has nose-dived. So, if it`s taking up needed space and is an eyesore? Price it right and maybe she be gone.??

Others will chime in I`m sure. Be patient, it`s saturday nite. :)

Scan Anderson 10 is a great stove. I saw it burn last year in my local stove shop, and it was hot and beautiful. You'll be pleased. Those are like 2100 bucks new.

I almost bought the Scan 60 which looks a lot like the 10, only sheet metal not cast iron.

Scan has a very good reputation, but is a rare bird in this country and particularly rare here. Please keep us posted and show some pics when it's installed. I looked over the Scan 10 manual and find no exception for wall shield adjusted clearances. So it appears that you'll need to honor clearances to the nearest combustible which are the studs in the wall. Fiberglass insulation is not combustible, but if it's paper backed, the paper is combustible.

Ok, I just sold my VC, less than 24 hrs after putting it on Craigslist. Asked for and got $800 and had multiple calls. The first who came to look bought it. I'll pick up the Scan Anderson 10 in the next day or two. Guess I'd better get to work on my chimney and hearth. I've searched these forums for info on the Scan and wish I could get some feedback from some who have one or have used one. I downloaded the owners manual and it is really a joke. Doesn't even have a diagram showing the controls or assembly. Guess it must just be intuitive. I'd like to hear of any tricks or peculiarities of this stove. I am slightly worried the 8" chimney pipe I have will not draft correctly. Will the fairly long rise(18') improve draft even if it is larger than called for? Does anyone have experience with connecting 6" stovepipe to *' chimney? I assume I will have to get an 8" chimney pipe connector attach a 6-8" increaser directly to it. Would using double wall connector pipe be worth the extra cost in keeping flue gasses hot and increasing draft? Sorry for the repeat questions, I just really want this stove to work well and cut down on my heating bills.
I'll post some pics as I get further along.
Thanks for all the help!

Double wall sure won't hurt in connecting the stove. It will help to keep the flue gases hotter.

I think you'll be fine. There will be a learning curve, but it's basically a simple stove. From the manual it sounds like there are two controls, startup air and the main air control. Only use the startup air control for a short time to get the fire going. After that use the main air control.

mtnhome said:
Ok, I just sold my VC, less than 24 hrs after putting it on Craigslist. Asked for and got $800 and had multiple calls. The first who came to look bought it. I'll pick up the Scan Anderson 10 in the next day or two. Guess I'd better get to work on my chimney and hearth. I've searched these forums for info on the Scan and wish I could get some feedback from some who have one or have used one. I downloaded the owners manual and it is really a joke. Doesn't even have a diagram showing the controls or assembly. Guess it must just be intuitive. I'd like to hear of any tricks or peculiarities of this stove. I am slightly worried the 8" chimney pipe I have will not draft correctly. Will the fairly long rise(18') improve draft even if it is larger than called for? Does anyone have experience with connecting 6" stovepipe to *' chimney? I assume I will have to get an 8" chimney pipe connector attach a 6-8" increaser directly to it. Would using double wall connector pipe be worth the extra cost in keeping flue gasses hot and increasing draft? Sorry for the repeat questions, I just really want this stove to work well and cut down on my heating bills.
I'll post some pics as I get further along.
Thanks for all the help!

How's The Scan working for you? i was asking because it is a model that i'm considering, theres the scan 60 witch runs about $1000 cheeper than the andersen, Any info would be apreciated thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.