Stove Hearth Pads

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kpikul

Nov 3, 2007
CT
I plan on making my own. I have a certain tile in the same room that I would like to match.

Is it is simple as tiling over plywood? Then rest that on my hard wood floor or is there something else that needs to be considered?

Depends on the stove, some specify a certain R value, and others just state you need a a non-combustible surface a certain size.

Besides the important stove hearth R-Value specification, you'll want a better underlayment for the tile to bond to than plywood. Use a sheet of durock screwed frequently with cementboard screws to the plywood.

Put some plywood UNDER the MICORE300 and 1/2" cement board over it, then tile
You cant tile over micore and you really cant screw cement board to it, kinda flimsy stuff and would absorb all the water in the grout mix
Thats how I built mine.
Be SURE you can pick it up after building, good thing I'm a gorilla and the neighbors kid is too. I built it in the basement and started thinking "How heavy is this thing" when I was grouting it ;)

Search Hearth Pads here and you will get alot of info

Attachments

• hearth pad.jpg
    hearth pad.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 570
Is there a minimum size requirement? I have corner installation, without a ton of room. Is there a certain minumum distance past the stove I want this to stick out?

Look in the manual, you need 18" from any opening in it, and different units require different clearances on the sides and back.

Status
Not open for further replies.