Stove help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nastydon

Feb 25, 2012
Maine
Hello everyone, I am new here, and am also new to pellet stoves, so I have some questions about fixing my stove! First I'll give a little backstory, and then I'll jump to the problem.

I live with my girlfriend in her parents guest house, which used to be heated by a fireplace. Last year we had a chimney fire and it would have cost too much to fix it, so her parents bought us a pellet stove instead. They got a napoleon nps45, and our place is only about 1000 square feet, so it was more than good enough! All winter so far we had it on 2 or 3 max, and it's been working perfectly, we never needed to go up higher or we couldn't even be in the house.

So last week things started freaking out. I was sitting in the kitchen playing my guitar, and the power went out(due to a solar flare). So the fans shut off, and the fire would burn itself out quickly I thought. This time I smelt smoke, and the fire detector went off, so I ran into the living room where the stove is, and the flame is gigantic, and the smoke is billowing out through the top a little, and the whole stove is like 500 degrees, I couldn't even touch it, it's never been that hot. So I just watched it until it died down and everything was good. When it cooled down I gave it a full cleaning because the pot got mucked up from the pellets just burning there. The power came back on an hour later, and the stove kicks on, so I was glad I got heat again, was only 60 inside, was used my 80 degree house! About 30 minutes in I look at the stove and the flame was still up to the top, touching the rungs, and I touched the top of it and I burnt my hand, and I had the stove on 1 of 5. Another 30 minutes and the house is 92 degrees, highest it's ever been, and I had the flame two levels lower than usual. So I just had to shut it off. My girlfriend gets home from work an hour later and I tell her all about it, and she thinks its weird so she calls her dad and he comes over and looks at the stove. He looks at it, said I cleaned it perfectly, and he turns is on and it works perfectly for him. He put it on 2, and he said it was burning hot, our level 2 was hotter than his level 4, but there was nothing wrong with it. But it felt good. So we went to sleep, and at 3 AM we both wake up sweating to death, it's now 96+ in the house, no idea what it really was because that's as high as our thermostat goes, but we had to shut the stove off and we still had it on 1.

The next day I get home from school and it's cold in the house so I see if the stove is working. It turns on and is doing alright, but then the power goes out, turns back on, and then goes out again 10 seconds later, and comes back on instantly. I was thinking WTF is going on? So after the power is on for awhile, I try to turn the stove on, and it shuts itself off. I try 3 more times thinking it was a fluke because it's perfectly clean, but each time it fails and goes out. Flashing number 2 light. I also noticed that the initial fan didn't turn on, it has two, and they kick on in the same pattern every time, but this time the second fan turned on and the first never did. The stove also was making a weird clicking, so I thought that might be the fan. So I call her father to come look at it, and it actually is screwing up for him too. He somehow got it to stay on, but he had to maintain it the whole way, but he turned it off and the auger was still dumping pellets in the pot. The manual said a couple things under the second light, checked them all except for one thing which I have no idea what it means because that was the only time it's referenced in the book.

Unhook the air hose from the vacuum switch and blow through it. If air flows freely,
the hose and tube are fine. If air will not flow through the hose, use a wire coat
hanger to clear the blockage.
no idea what any of that means, but because the fan wasn't kicking on I thought this might be the reason. Her dad told us not to touch the stove or use it until he can pay someone to come fix it, but if it's an easy fix I don't see why I can't do it myself. I thought it would be fixed by now, we went on vacation a few days ago anyways because it was my birthday, so we were expecting it fixed when we got back. But it's not, and we have a blizzard right now, so I'm sitting here freezing with no heat, can't do this! Can anyone help me out please?

Same pellets since the beginning too, those haven't changed.

tl;dr errors

1. Stove shuts off though fully cleaned.
2. Auger dumps pellets into pot even when you shut stove off so it keeps burning. Dumps pellets like you have stove on 5 when it's only on 1.

Please help! Sorry for the huge post.

Attachments

• IMAG0328.jpg
    IMAG0328.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 387
Do not try to get that stove running.

Sounds like you have a fried control board.

Likely other problems as well (possible over temperature operation related).

That #2 light should have stopped any pellet flow unless someone bypassed the vacuum switch.

Damn, I was hoping that wasn't the case. Don't think anyone bypassed the switch, just us two here, and neither of us did it. Well guess I'm bundling up in blankets for awhile!

Is the stove new or used? If new it is under warranty. I would unplug the stove for a bit and see if the board will do a hard reset. Plug back in and listen to see if both fans come on, if so see if it starts normally. If not unplug and call your dealer

It's new, but the place we got it is dumb and only cares about money and not customer satisfaction. We went to the store, talked to the people about getting two stoves, and they said they would deliver the two by the end of the week. So we bought a napoleon, and an osburn, $4000 cash thinking we would get them when they said. A few days later we get a call and saying they were backordered and it would take some extra time. That extra time turned into 2 weeks to get the first napoleon, and then another 2 weeks to get our osburn. The guys son who also works at the store told us his dad told everyone who came in that they could have their stoves by the end of the week. Also said we were the only people to pay it off, let alone with cash and we should have been top priority. So the kid was cool, but the dad sucked, so that made me hate the place a little bit. After we finally got the osburn installed a month later, it was defective first day. Called them that night telling them it wasn't working, he didn't believe us. Took him 3 trips to our place, and a week to convince him to take the stove back and get us another napoleon. He still didn't think it was broken though so he hooked it up at his store just to prove us wrong, and it had a bad electrical issue and was defective. Had to send it to osburn and switch out the board. So he apologized for not believing us finally. Then we wanted to buy a 3rd napoleon in January when it was really cold, and they said it would be $2500 without installation, we only paid $2000 each for the first two, but 3 months later, and the 3rd stove we were going to buy from them they raised the price $500? not getting our business anymore, place is just so greedy, I wanted to cut all ties I had with them off, and now my stove goes and breaks, guess I have to unfortunately call them.

But yeah, it's been unplugged for a few days, so I tried that, nothing at all, sounds worse now. Guess this stove is done...

With all those power surges?? Did you have a good surge protector on it? (Not a cheap strip model).

I hate to say it, but Smokey may be right. A faulty controller, fans and augers not operating as they should??

Edit: If it was the vacuum switch as you asked above? The stoves auger wouldnt have fed at all. Although the vacuum hose should be cleaned regularly. That is not your problem.

I agree with bear board is toast! Plus the convection blower probably got overheated and will also need replacing! Or at least getting its motor bearings changed.

If the OP didn't have a surge suppressor, The warranty could be null and void. I have heard of some dealers say nada to electrical claims due to power surges. Might have to post a claim to the homeowners insurance policy. Just saying and I could be wrong.

I got surge protectors.

I have my stove on right now, it's actually working... got too cold in here so I needed to turn it on. But it's working, def replacing it though, not as good as it used to be.

wwert said:
Excuse me?

X2........?? Its working??

Keep am eye on it.. A very watchful eye. I dont know if I would trust it through the night. IMO

Oh no, we're in the room making sure it's good. But so far so good, been two hours, but I will turn it off before we go to bed for sure. not trusting that, have all we need to extinguish it just in case ready right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.