Stove here now question on vent & OA piping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have received my stove and wanted to check to make sure my plan for piping is ok. I am replacing a old woodburner that vented through a 8" thimble to a chimney outside. The chimney is being torn down tuesday because it's not save to use. My plan is to run both the vent and the outside air piping through the existing thimble and mortar around the piping with the air intake stopping at the end of the thimble and the exhaust vent extending out another 15". Does anyone know of any reason not to run the piping together like this?

thanks.

If I understand correctly, you are planning on a straight out the wall exhaust vent that extends 15" from the exterior wall, and that the intake will be flush with the exterior wall. I don't think there should be any issue with both exhaust and intake pipe in the same 8" thimble. Not sure if 15" is enough distance separating the exhaust and intake.

What I would recommend is a T on the outside for clean-out, and extending up at least 5', then turning 90 with a cap. Have the intake vent along side the exhaust in the thimble, and and turn a 90 down on that outside.

This will give you a nice natural draft that will help if the power goes out. When I first installed my stove I went straight out, and ended up with a room full of smoke when the power went out. After installing a 5' rise I tested by pulling the power. The fire died out slowly, but very little smoke leaked into the house.

BTW - As added insurance I've added a UPS to take care of relatively short power outages.

You really want that outside piping at least two feet from the house before the termination cap to stop most of the soot issues on the side of the house.

Only an idea, could be wrong but I would put the clean out t outside the house for ease of cleaning and for ease of leaf blower cleaning. I have an insert unit and really want to try the leaf blower on mine but the way I have the cap it would be a pain. I may try to do it in the spring but will have to have a 6-7' hose to get out the window to the blower.

Schoondog

there are pro's & con's to the T in either location. Outside T makes for easy Leaf blower attachment & use. Inside T allows pipe cleaning with something like a LintEater set-up even in the coldest winter weather.

macman said:
there are pro's & con's to the T in either location. Outside T makes for easy Leaf blower attachment & use. Inside T allows pipe cleaning with something like a LintEater set-up even in the coldest winter weather.

Yup, only in this case I suspect the OP doesn't really want to punch a new hole in his home. I don't know about you folks but I hate additional holes in the house or to have to do a patch job on an existing hole.

SmokeyTheBear said:
macman said:

Yup, only in this case I suspect the OP doesn't really want to punch a new hole in his home. I don't know about you folks but I hate additional holes in the house or to have to do a patch job on an existing hole.

Why would he need another hole in the wall????? Just substitute a 'regular' 90 elbow for the location that doesn't have the cleanout T.

His current setup is 5' above the stove now why would he put 90 degree at the back of the stove and a tee where the horizontal pipe exits the wall?

He is planing on venting through an existing thimble hole after removing the outside chimney.

SmokeyTheBear said:
His current setup is 5' above the stove now why would he put 90 degree at the back of the stove and a tee where the horizontal pipe exits the wall?

He is planing on venting through an existing thimble hole after removing the outside chimney.

Sorry Smokey. I forgot he was doing a straight out to a cap. I was thinking he was then going with more vertical pipe outside to get above the roof to eliminate any sooting on the siding.

My mistake. :red:

Status
Not open for further replies.