Stove I Spotted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlow

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2009
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I am currently in Southwest Germany and the other day we had cake and coffee in a little cafe. They loaded this baby up and I wondered about its' history. It definitely did not have to heat a lot of square footage. It is snowing here like crazy and the trains and airports have been closed at times. I miss the mild Michigan climate!!! :)

Attachments

• DSC06645 (Small).jpg
    DSC06645 (Small).jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,219
  • DSC06644 (Small).jpg
    DSC06644 (Small).jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,360
  • DSC06646 (Small).jpg
    DSC06646 (Small).jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,497
  • DSC06585 (Small).jpg
    DSC06585 (Small).jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,119
Looks like a Jotul 606. Nice little heater. Good to see it is still doing the job well.

It is a 606, I had one and it heated very well. Not very many of them in use here in the States.

Attachments

• IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,506
KatWill said:
Is that thing EPA approved? %-P

Good point!

I was just thinking how pretty it is, and wondering why we don't see more here. :)

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
I love that stove!

Is this close enough? It's a Morso, and its a current model.
Morso2Bclassicpic.jpg

I seen one of them on cl a little while back for three hundred. Should have jumped on it. I already have to many stoves and not enough flues. Im not a big fan of the pre-epa but this one is classy

Franks said:
Not epa approved, but a classic for sure. I would burn one if I could..just because.

I hear you on the EPA, this one is from the 70's, I don't know when they stopped making them. It probably has a baffle system like the old 602, right? I can imagine that heat exchanger throwing out some major heat though. Just cool to see these classic stoves with the huge heat exchanger on top, my favorite ones are the Morso and the Lange. There's one in the Hearth pic gallery with two or three of those exchangers on it.

I have one in my basement stored away. They were only sold in the US for only a couple of seasons. They were intended to be run with small loads constantly without damping them down significantly. If they were run in the "load with green wood and then close the damper mode", the heat exchanger would clog up with creosote in weeks. The same folks who ran them that way didnt clean them so they tended to have chimney fires. I think Jotul stopped selling them as it was easier than educating the buyers. If run properly with small loads of dry wood with reasonable damper opening, they are great stoves. I just wish I could find a manual for mine.

My buddy has one of those sitting in his garage. He used it to heat his house before getting a wood burning furnace.

That's just what I need right now; A stove with a wood-drying feature! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.