Stove Identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr2Jeep

Oct 24, 2013
North Georgia
Hi, new guy here from North Georgia. I bought a home a few years ago and it has a wood stove in it with no identification whatsoever on it. I looked on the top, bottom and all sides...nothing. The dimensions of the body are 15"W X 30"L X 20"H with a 6" flue. I'll try to post some pics. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Gene

Attachments

• DSCN5595.JPG
    DSCN5595.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 233
  • DSCN5596.JPG
    DSCN5596.JPG
    234.9 KB · Views: 230
  • DSCN5597.JPG
    DSCN5597.JPG
    286.1 KB · Views: 227
Chances are slim of anybody having that information. From the early seventies to the late eighties there were hundreds of large and small welding shops cranking out steel wood stoves. By 1988 they were mostly all gone after fuel prices started leveling out and EPA emissions regs for stoves came into effect.

What the poster above was asking is what good that information is going to do for you.

[/quote]
What the poster above was asking is what good that information is going to do for you.

Not to get off on the wrong foot here, but I thought one of the purposes of this forum was to be friendly and to help people. I've seen other members ask the same question, so I thought I was asking a basic question about a stoves manufacturer. As far as "what good it's going to do for me" I guess...none.

Some people are looking for manufacturer paperwork to get a permitted install done, or are looking for clearance to combustibles for an older stove, or home insurance is asking for paperwork, that is why we ask as this stove is unknown it may be impossible to get that info unless you get lucky and someone who worked at the factory or sold these sees this thread.

No one is trying to rough you up, just trying to figure out intentions.

Not to get off on the wrong foot here, but I thought one of the purposes of this forum was to be friendly and to help people. I've seen other members ask the same question, so I thought I was asking a basic question about a stoves manufacturer. As far as "what good it's going to do for me" I guess...none.[/quote]

Nah. No wrong foot. Just easier to help if we know what you need the info for. If it is just to learn who made it, nobody will probably know unless a person who happened to own one wanders through some day.

BTW: Welcome to the Forum.

Nothing at all on that label.... on the ash fender...

This thing is setting off about 6 our my neurons...out of the billions maybe left in my brain!

It's somewhat of a neat design and the fabrication, label, cast doors, etc. point to something other than a one-off. Still, I've been doing this since 1978 and been to many trade shows, etc.....and it does not compute....that insignia is strange!

Using deductive reasoning, if it's down south the chances are somewhat against it being a new england or midwestern model - because only the bigger brands of those were sold far and wide. I'm leaning towards it being a one or two year trial model from one of the southern makers like Atlanta Stove Words, Birmingham Stove and Range or even US Stove. But this means absolutely nothing.....most of those companies are out of business and US Stove wouldn't even know at this point.

Color it a mystery for now......look close at that label just in case. Maybe we will get lucky. Look carefully at the rear of the door castings to see if there are any markings.

Webbie, thanks for the reply and suggestions. I had already looked at the label on the ash fender, however I checked it again and it's a generic caution label. I really never looked at the inside of the door castings so I checked the side door and it had some cautions listed and Made In USA. Then I checked one of the front doors and found what I was looking for after scraping off some scale. It has Birmingham Stove And Range Co. Birmingham AL. Thank you very much you helped me solve this mystery. Gene

Reactions: webbie
Congrats Craig, you taught all of us something new. I have added this stove to my mental notes.

On that Aunt Sarah stove, I had the woodburners quarterly from 1980 and was always paging through it looking for stuff to scan in relations to question on here (ads, etc.)....and who can forget such a name!

Some people are looking for manufacturer paperwork to get a permitted install done, or are looking for clearance to combustibles for an older stove, or home insurance is asking for paperwork, that is why we ask as this stove is unknown it may be impossible to get that info unless you get lucky and someone who worked at the factory or sold these sees this thread.

No one is trying to rough you up, just trying to figure out intentions.

Exactly right, sorry if i cam off as an *ss, just trying to be helpful
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.