Stove in Center of Room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlow

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2009
Sterling Heights, Michigan
My EQ is in the middle of my family room. Will stove temps be lower than if it was in the corner or against a wall? As you can see, I have 4 doorwalls on the back side of the stove. Does this cool off my stove faster because of heat dispersement?

Attachments

• DSC03840.jpg
    DSC03840.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 15,789
I think you will have more even radiation of heat from the stove. Where a wall will stop the radiation from the back of a stove normally, yours will radiate heat from the back without any issues. The doors will lower room temp, but they would do that regardless of where you placed the stove.

So glad you asked. I have been wondering about the same sort of thing myself - not quite the same 'ideal' install, but I happen to have a VERY active convection current around my stove and wonder if it affects the stove temperatures as compared to a stove that is installed closer to a wall or in a smaller room.

The extreme example for a stove is an alcove (or perhaps the insert?) install where clearly the heat would not escape well without mechanical assistance and I would expect the stove temps to stay higher, so it stands to reason that moving the stove well into the center of a good size room like you have (I would consider the room one space for the purposes of this discussion in your case) should help keep the stove cooler. But then, how much cooler becomes the question - where is the line of diminishing returns here where one wouldn't be able to appreciate the difference.

I am eager to read what others have to say on this subject.

What have your observations been so far?

As a relative newbie to the whole stove experience, I have been reading about long overnight burns and stove temps between 500-600 degrees. My EQ heats this room(760 sq ft) very easily at 400-450 stove temp ( 80-85 ) room temp. It keeps the rest of the house around 75 degrees( 2900 total sq ft ). I have yet to go past 500 degrees. I am wondering if my 500 degrees in the center of the room become 600 degrees if it was in a corner or wall application ( not that I would do that)

Answer: Yes

Good News: You have positioned you stove for ideal heat transfer into your room. It can't get any better than this. You are fortunate to be able to afford such an installation. It is perfection. You will get the most heat transfered into your room for the amount of wood burnt.

Wood stoves heat a room due to radiation and convection. Radiation is the heat radiating off of the cast iron, stell, or stones of your stove just like how the sun radiates heat at the beach. You can feel this heat. It is nice and warm if you stand near the stove. Convection is the heat of the warm air around the stove. You will get convection currents that you can sometimes see where the hot air is rising away from the stove. It will cool down a bit quicker because there is nothing to trap these convection currents and the stove can radiate freely into the room. None of the radiation is being reflected back to the stove by a shield or fireplace or wall.

i to have my stove in the middle of my room, and love it! your install looks beautiful! good job.

I don't think you can get a better install for heat radiation the you have. If the stove has heat shields on the back and side I would remove them...
Love the sit up...

JayD - I built a wood-burning pizza oven/ bread oven back in 2004. Just used it last week to make pizza and 2 german-rye. I have attached the you tube clip of the pizza.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A66cf57eLHc

Attachments

• P8120002.jpg
    P8120002.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 849
  • DSC05077.jpg
    DSC05077.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 578
  • P8220080.jpg
    P8220080.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 737
Status