Stove incert or log set?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
I have a prefab fireplace which I would like to be able to use for some real heat. While I do have a furnace and a pellet stove, they are useless when the power goes out. I have been considering putting something in the fireplace, but would like something fairly clean. I have seen some of the gas inserts and also seen some fire log sets. Both claim to put our about the same amount of heat. Comments??? thanks

gas logs are decorative, unless you get a vent free set. Direct vent inserts would be your safest, and most efficient end result.

If you are ONLY looking for heat when the power goes out, vent free logs are your most cost effective. Do you run natural gas or lp?

Franks said:
If you are ONLY looking for heat when the power goes out, vent free logs are your most cost effective. Do you run natural gas or lp?

We only have access to LP in this area. Cost about 2.50 I have been told.

Status
Not open for further replies.