Stove info for various brands...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krooser

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2008
Waupaca, WI
www.rumblefest.net
We all talk rather nonchalantly about our different stove brands but many of us really don't know what our "other" brands look like... how many btu's, etc.

Here's one page from my dealer's website that has lots of info about St. Croix, Quadrafire, Harman, etc. Good refernce material just a point and click away.

http://www.pellethead.com/PelletStoveBrand.htm

Aside from manufacturers propaganda, what the general consensus between bottom fed and droppers? I went with a Harman because from what I knew (b4 I got here), bottom feed was less cleaning of the pot (junk gets pushed out) so corn mix was an easier option. Everyone has their brand of stove just like brand of vehicle, but they all have design flaws. Now I wonder if I got the right stove for me.

If this should be a new thread, holler at me, I'll repost. :red:

Bigb62 said:
Aside from manufacturers propaganda, what the general consensus between bottom fed and droppers? I went with a Harman because from what I knew (b4 I got here), bottom feed was less cleaning of the pot (junk gets pushed out) so corn mix was an easier option. Everyone has their brand of stove just like brand of vehicle, but they all have design flaws. Now I wonder if I got the right stove for me.

Now I always heard the a Harman needs to have the firepot scraped everyday because of the bottom feed design... my "top feeder" only needs to be cleaned every couple of weeks...

I really don't care what the brand name of the stove is as long as it works properly and heats my house.

That is a very cool website.. its well done but I hid salesman, so I don't know how informative he was. :)

krooser said:
Bigb62 said:

Now I always heard the a Harman needs to have the firepot scraped everyday because of the bottom feed design... my "top feeder" only needs to be cleaned every couple of weeks...

I really don't care what the brand name of the stove is as long as it works properly and heats my house.

The bottom feeder Harmans are really neat since there is never much ash in the fire pot.It gets pushed out over the front edge. I usually do scrape the carbon build up in the burnpot at least every other day though but fortunately it can be done while it`s running and only takes a few seconds.
The stove itself only needs the ash pan emptied after a ton or so and at that time it could use a good brush down inside. I thoroughly clean only at the season end .
Most of the glass always stays clean but the sides get a little built up with ash after a couple weeks.
I can`t imagine an easier stove to maintain.

Gio said:
krooser said:
Bigb62 said:

I can`t imagine an easier stove to maintain............

One that cleans itself! Stoves with stirrirs, agitators or something like the versa grate. Do just that. Weeks before you even need to open the door.

jay

My st croix never has any ash in the burn pot, the versa grate system works really well I really dont need to touch anything more than once a month,but Im in a routine and do it every week.

The versa grate sounds like a good idea but isn`t it mainly for burning corn and isn`t it prone to more problems ? I`ve read where some folks have disconnected the motor for various reasons.
It maybe more useful for corn but IMO something like this would add to an already complex pellet stove design. Burning pellets will always involve some degree of manual work but it seems the more labor saving devices they add the more prone it is going to be to mechanical failure such as electric igniter.
Here`s a thread regarding some problems with the versa grate.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42310/

Gio said:
The versa grate sounds like a good idea but isn`t it mainly for burning corn and isn`t it prone to more problems ? I`ve read where some folks have disconnected the motor for various reasons.
It maybe more useful for corn but IMO something like this would add to an already complex pellet stove design. Burning pellets will always involve some degree of manual work but it seems the more labor saving devices they add the more prone it is going to be to mechanical failure such as electric igniter.
Here`s a thread regarding some problems with the versa grate.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42310/

St. Coix corn stoves don't use a versa-grate system. They now offer something to go in the burn pot to allow you to use pellets in a corn stove... new this year I think.

The versa-grate does a great job of keeping ash out of the burnpot. You just need to pull the cleanout rod a couple times per day and that's it. Every two weeks I take out the "grate" and clean it and the firepot... pretty easy. the grate moves forward and back under the burn pot... it's constantly allowing ash to drop out of the burn pot and allow it to enter the ash pan.

Noise has been a complaint but you only have to lube the simple mechanism to get rid of that... you use anti-seize compound which will take the heat. Some guys have motors that are noisy but mine is silent.

I can use a corn/pellet mix in my stove but haven't tried it.

I suppose its a toss up between scraping daily(about 2 mins) or Spending 20 mins maintaining the versa grate. But the stirring,mixing or agitating burnpots are maintained less often. Like Gio said it is something else to worry about braking, But if properly maintained there should not be an issue. Just have to take the good with the bad I'd say.

Being able to burn even the crappiest pellets is priceless to me. Well at least in the shoulders season. I wan't the good ones in the cold.

I respectfully disagree with you Jay it takes no where near 20 min to lube the versa grate,5min tops.The other thing with agitators is if burning corn they will disintegrate rather quickly which like you said just something else to break,not saying that's bad or good just saying both system have there pros and cons.

mnkywrnch said:
I respectfully disagree with you Jay it takes no where near 20 min to lube the versa grate,5min tops.The other thing with agitators is if burning corn they will disintegrate rather quickly which like you said just something else to break,not saying that's bad or good just saying both system have there pros and cons.

mnkywrnch,

I didn't have a clue on the actual time to maintain it. I just throw it out there. I stand corrected.

And I respectfully disagree with you on the agitators disintegrating. Mine is high grade stainless and shows no sign of wear yet anyways, But I haven't burned a lot of corn yet. I suppose you could weld it if need be.

I totally agree with "both system have there pros and cons"! Choose the one thats best for you. And if all you plan is burn premium and super premium pellets. The there is nothing wrong with the conventional pellet stove either.

We all have our own veiws.
jay

While my stove isn't a true multi fuel I can burn up to 50/50 corn pellet mix, as for the agitators I've seen on Iburncorn.com pics of what corn does to agitators Iwasnt trying to argue and hope you didn't take it that way.Todd

mnkywrnch said:
Iwasnt trying to argue and hope you didn't take it that way.Todd

Same here Todd, Just stating my views. As you were on you veiws. All is good with me!

I think the key is getting to know your stove and when and how to properly maintain it! A clean and properly maintained stove is a good running stove.

Hey, How did we get on this versa grate debate anyway?

peace
jay

Our Europa is a top feed and I can burn pellets for a full season without scraping or lubing or poking things. Just empty the ash pan once a month. On corn, once a week or so I may have to open the door really fast an poke the corn with a screw driver. Corn, empty the ash 2 times per month. No clinker, no scraping no lubing on corn either. And it's heating our 2K square foot showroom at a 2lb per hour feed rate. (shameless plug) But, it's also a $4900 stove, so I guess you get what you pay for

I think I will stick with my $2300 dumb stove heating my 1500 sq ft home lubing my versa grate once a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.