Stove insert into a open brick fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

henry1110

Nov 17, 2014
Auburn ca
I don't understand why I find myself so confused on the installation process of putting a stove insert I swooped in on, into my current Fireplace that is "open" I suppose.

I have a rather larger fireplace that is brick that extends through attic and out the roof. The fireplace has a blower set up and has 2 fans on each side. The air is pushed out above the fireplace through some slotted brick. This set up has 3 pipes the cut across my flue I belive is the word.

I came a across a 1984 Lopi LX wood stove insert. This monster fits in the fire place very well and appears to possible be overkill for my 1600sqft home.

My question is why can't I just have the exhaust leave the stove and head up the chimney?

I'm having a custom frame/shroud built to cover up the gaps and will insulate to seal off the chimney from the living room.

Thank you for help in advance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 191
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 157
You need a liner run from the stove to the top of the chimney. They type of install you are talking about is referred to as a slammer and it is no longer to code. The problems are that it is next to impossible to clean it properly the flue is masssivly oversized leading to poor draft and excessive creosote. and it is just plain dangerous

Just to help see where you are at with this, what reason, aside from cost, would you have for not wanting to line the chimney?

I believe a large number of people have gotten killed by this type of install, the slammer.....
Is that good enough reason?.....

That is a reason FOR lining. I was asking the OP what is reason was for NOT lining the chimney.
I was talking to op not your question....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.