Stove install in front of fireplace... questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacPhly

Jul 25, 2008
Southern Maine
I just read the other fireplace install thread which is similar to what I am doing but my install is going to be on the hearth in front of the fireplace instead of actually in the fireplace itself.

The stove is a VC Defiant 2190. The question I have is what measurments apply for the clearances listed in the manual.

The stove is 26.5 inches tall, my fireplace opening is 30 inches tall, the mantle trim starts at 36 inches and is 2 inches deep.

The manual calls for 18" clearance from the top of the stove to combustibles with a heat shield but also lists an 11 inches back clearance from a protected wall with a stove back heat shield. (numbers are from memory)

Is the top clearance measured at 90 degrees from the top of the stove or at a diagnal as well. The top clearance is short if measured at a diagnal.

This is really making my head spin and I am probably reading into the numbers too much but they don't seem to make any sence.
If I were to install the stove on a flat wall with a UL listed wall protector, the wall covering needs to be 36inches tall. The diagnal from the top of the stove (26.5") to the bare wall ABOVE the protector is less than the 18" they want to the shielded trim around a fire place.

See what I'm saying?

Thanks,
Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.