Stove installation and insulation questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paforeleft

Nov 14, 2011
Central Coast California
I am in the process of replacing a wood burning stove. The old stove we had was an Avalon and it was installed 18 years ago into an existing fireplace. A chimney liner was installed with a cap at the top of the masonry chimney. The chimney liner was not insulated and there was no block off plate installed at the bottom of the chimney. We used this to heat our house with good results. We decided to update the fireplace and stove. We removed the Avalon stove and are replacing it with an Equinox. We never had much creosote buildup in the chimney there was very little when the chimney liner was removed.
Since the Equinox requires an 8†flue versus 6†for the Avalon, the chimney liner is being replaced. We are using the same installer as the Avalon and he wants to install the chimney as before – a cap at the top only, no insulation and no bottom block off. It is an interior masonry chimney that passes thought the attic, but above about 6’ it is in the attic and thermally separate from the living space. We live in a moderate climate in the central coast of California, but the temps do dip into the 20’s during the winter. So here (finally) are my questions

1.Does insulating the chimney liner provide benefit beyond creosote reduction? Is it recommended for my installation?
2.Is a block off plate at the bottom the chimney desirable? I figured that it will be a benefit when there is no fire but it will block heat that is transfer from the chimney liner when a fire. What makes the most sense?

Thank you for taking the time to read.

Greetings EB. Insulating the liner keeps the flue gases hotter. This can help reduce creosote accumulation and can also help improve draft in the chimney. If the liner is insulated and the chimney is interior, you probably won't see great benefits from a block off plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.