Stove Installation Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NeenScrame

Feb 16, 2015
Richmond, NH
I'm sure this is a dumb question but I'm in a new house and am not sure how to hook up my Energy Harvester to the clay chimney pipe. The clay pipe is 8" in diameter and exits horizontally from the wall. If I connect an 8" pipe to it there will be only 1" of clearance between it and the adjacent wallboard. Please see pic.

IMG_0768.JPG

What would one use here to safely connect a stove? The Energy Harvester has a 6" output btw.

Thanks!

Welcome. We can't tell from just the picture for sure, but based on what I see I would say no for a couple reasons. The first is clearance to the adjacent wall. Was that partition just added? If so it is much too close to the thimble. If this is a proper thimble it will have at least 12" clearance in all directions to any combustibles. Drywall is a combustible as are wall studs. Here is an article with more info on passing through a wall.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/passing_a_chimney

Welcome. We can't tell from just the picture for sure, but based on what I see I would say no for a couple reasons. The first is clearance to the adjacent wall. Was that partition just added? If so it is much too close to the thimble. If this is a proper thimble it will have at least 12" clearance in all directions to any combustibles. Drywall is a combustible as are wall studs. Here is an article with more info on passing through a wall.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/passing_a_chimney

Thanks for your reply. The house was actually built this way... that's a stairway to the left. I'm not sure if they intended it for low temp stoves (pellet) but the previous owner definitely did run a high temp wood stove here.

I was going to put a heat shield on the right there to protect that wall, but I don't know how to get to the flue pipe without exposing the wall around it to high heat. It does seem like a lousy set up.

Any other option - say a freestanding stove with a new pipe run? It might be easier than trying to deal with what you have here.

Thanks for your reply. The house was actually built this way... that's a stairway to the left. I'm not sure if they intended it for low temp stoves (pellet) but the previous owner definitely did run a high temp wood stove here.

I was going to put a heat shield on the right there to protect that wall, but I don't know how to get to the flue pipe without exposing the wall around it to high heat. It does seem like a lousy set up.
Unfortunately we see several risky setups a year. Some look ok with a fresh coat of paint on the wall, but it's the wood behind the walls that is at risk of pyrolysis. This thimble looks like it should be removed and bricked closed. Is there anything else on this chimney flue? If not, is there another face of this chimney in another room that could possibly have a thimble added?

Any other option - say a freestanding stove with a new pipe run? It might be easier than trying to deal with what you have here.

No, this is on the first floor of a two story, not adjacent to outside walls. There's a stone pad here for a stove but it sure looks like a bad layout.

Unfortunately we see several risky setups a year. Some look ok with a fresh coat of paint on the wall, but it's the wood behind the walls that is at risk of pyrolysis. This thimble looks like it should be removed and bricked closed. Is there anything else on this chimney flue? If not, is there another face of this chimney in another room that could possibly have a thimble added?

Bummer. No, there's nowhere else on the first floor to access this chimney (only hallways and stairways adjacent to it). There is another horizontal input to the same chimney below in the basement (not in use).

Do you think this input could still be used for a pellet stove? With an insulated liner? Thanks again for your replies.

That might work. I think good pellet pipe has a 1" clearance requirement. Post in the Pellet forum to get the most qualified response.

Status
Not open for further replies.