Q&A Stove Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I'm planning to buy a stove through a means other than the local fireplace/stove shops. Since the local shops only do installations for stoves they sell, I'm looking for some assistance getting the stove installed.

Where else could I look for someone who can properly install the stove? Can builders do this? Perhaps I could could have a chimney installer/sweep put the chimney in and connect the stove to the chimney myself observing the appropriate clearances and hearth requirements. Seems that this would be acceptable. Ideas?

Answer:

Chimney sweeps are probably the best resource as they have the experience and training to do this type of job. However, there are all different levels of sweeps - make certain you get one that is a good mechanic and has knowledge of the stove and installation side of the business. See if you can get a reference for a job similar to yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.