Stove Installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wrenchmonster said:
HW, I think you have the right image in your head. Awesome idea! I just looked at it and it's a little tighter than I thought. I tried to slide the flat side of a sawzall blade in there and it wouldn't fit pretty damn close though, I may be able to get a thinner piece of sheet under there. It wouldn't take much, maybe taking the plate off and using a hand file to ease the edges would create enough room for the plate to slip in. I could also maybe modify the adapter piece I made to incorporate a sliding plate. Hummmm. (thinking)

-Kevin

There ya go, your on your way. I was picturing a pc of sheetmetal gauged thin enough to slide in the space, with maybe some kind of handle attached. Could be as fancy or not as you want it to be. Would mostly be for when stove is not in use or emergency cut off of intake for emergency situation. Otherwise you could stash it under the stove, hang it on the side etc. Might be thinking up a way to make a slide peice with a rod & handle for my air intake which is on the side of the insert. weird setup though, its on the outside casing on the left side. And then there is a space between casing & firebox. Not sure a close out on the hole would do anything.
Lemme know how ya made out, I am curious to see how you go about it for yours. Take some pics is ya get a chance.

My thought is to cut down a standard round heating duct damper. The smallest made I think is for 4" round, but with tin snips one should be able trim it to 3". I have several 5" ones that I can practice with. It's just a pair of pivots with a thread on the end for the handle.

http://malco.malcoproducts.com/products/metal-duct/d.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.