Stove Installer Scraped My New Hearth Pad...Any Ideas On How To Touch-up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodpecker

May 10, 2007
Herkimer, New York
Two weeks ago I bought a new American Panel 48" x 48" asian slate double cut hearth pad from one company; it's a beauty. Then I bought a new stove from another company. The stove installers scraped the finish on the new hearth pad in a few spots. Does anyone have any ideas on how to touch-up the pad? The two scrapes are about 1/2" by 2" in size? I think the multi-colored pad is made of a thinset with what looks like a clear coating of some kind. I'd appreciate any advice I can get. Perhaps, I just need to learn to live with it.

The downside to slate. Soft stuff. Maybe try to contact American Panel yourself or have your dealer do it and see what they seal the tile with. Maybe you can procure some of that. If not sometimes when I scratch the slate here in the showroom I just wipe it down until the scratch fades.

If its just the finish scratched, try and find a sealer/topcoat that matches the sheen & recoat the entire top surface.
If its just the slate scratched, how deep are the scratches? If not real deep, do as Shane recommended and just rub the slate down, it will sort of blend back to semi normal. Or make the installer repair or replace, since they didn't take the necessary steps to protect it.

Shane said:
The downside to slate. Soft stuff. Maybe try to contact American Panel yourself or have your dealer do it and see what they seal the tile with. Maybe you can procure some of that. If not sometimes when I scratch the slate here in the showroom I just wipe it down until the scratch fades.

Shane,

What do you wipe it down with? Thanks for your comments.

Vic

Hogwildz said:
If its just the finish scratched, try and find a sealer/topcoat that matches the sheen & recoat the entire top surface.
If its just the slate scratched, how deep are the scratches? If not real deep, do as Shane recommended and just rub the slate down, it will sort of blend back to semi normal. Or make the installer repair or replace, since they didn't take the necessary steps to protect it.

Hogwildz,

The material looks like but doesn't appear to be slate. I think it's some sort of a concrete pad comprised of tiles formed to have a surface like slate. Then they're coated to give them color and, finally, topcoated with a clear acrylic or some other similar clearcoat. The scrapes took off the clear coat and the color, so I'm down to whatever the base material is. The depth of the scrape cannot be more than 1/32 of an inch. Maybe I'm all wet and these panels are really slate...I just cannot believe it. If I find they're slate, how do you rub them down? With a fine paper? Thanks for the feedback.

Vic

It is slate and I have done the same thing your installer did before. Keep in mind when you scrape off the finish Asian slate will go to a dull grey. The brown tones really come out with the sealer. I used a stone sealant from a tile store (the same stuff you would use if you laid down a stone surface in a bathroom). The color came right back. Try wetting the area with a sponge and you should see what I mean, the color comes right back. You need the sealerto keep it that way.

jack said:
It is slate and I have done the same thing your installer did before. Keep in mind when you scrape off the finish Asian slate will go to a dull grey. The brown tones really come out with the sealer. I used a stone sealant from a tile store (the same stuff you would use if you laid down a stone surface in a bathroom). The color came right back. Try wetting the area with a sponge and you should see what I mean, the color comes right back. You need the sealerto keep it that way.

Jack, thanks for the education. Makes sense to me. I'll do it. Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.