Stove installers in PA?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elle

Burning Hunk
Apr 20, 2012
North East Pennsylvania
Hi, did a few searches and didn't come up with much on the forum or google :(

I am going to buy a Woodstock Progress Hybrid, but I am having trouble finding an installer in my area (North East, PA). Three places I contacted within 50 miles or so said they won't install unless I buy their stoves. Suggestions on how to find a certified installer? There is a local contractor that said "he knows someone" that puts in stoves, but after seeing the way this guy put up my ceiling I'm not sure I will take any of his referrals.

Thanks for any suggestions on where to look

Elle

You might try looking up some chimney sweeps . . . csia.org is a pretty good place to start (Chimney Sweep Institute of America) . . . plug in your zip code and start calling.

Reactions: Elle
Elle, I used Woodies in Honesdale, 13 years ago. I would guess these guys won't install anything they don't sell. They did the install ok. The hearth and stone on the walls they subbed out to a guy that did a horrible job. I ripped it out and redid it. I didn't pay for it. One issue I had. It was a new house and it was late in the season when I needed them to do the installation. They were booked up for months. So get it done soon!!!

Today, I would do the install myself, after seeing it done and taking the chimney apart. It's not all hard to follow the stove and chimney instructions for clearances. But that's me, cheap, why pay someone to do a job I will do much better. That said, a certified stove installer should make you sleep better.

Well I am indeed cheap lol. My insurance company only requires that the stove is installed to manufacturers specs so not really a need to have someone certified, I guess I would just feel better. Of course as you mentioned and with my last experience with contractors you never know what you are going to get and if something really is done correctly.

I will try the web site given above. In a pinch I am pretty handy myself so I'm sure I can get it done if need be.

Thanks!

If your insurance co doesn't require a certified installer and you are uncomfortable doing it yourself, you might try getting a good carpenter to do the installation.

Reactions: Elle
I"m not sure I'm super uncomfortable. I'm darn handy (with the help of my brother) but I guess I would be worried about leaks of CO with putting the chimney together, but honestly I guess you never know anyway with installations. If I am not educated enough to spot when something is being done wrong.........

I made a few calls this morning so we'll see what happens. This is just something I would rather pay for probably due to being on the roof, lol. I don't mind ripping up the walls and putting up new walls and such, but don't like the heights too much. Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.