stove instead of insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
I have insert now with 6 inch SS liner...would love to sit a stove there instead..what's involved...how big does hearth pad need to be..the hearth I have is stone and can't be expanded..I would say its. 8 foot wide and 26 inches deep

The hearth size will depend on the stove. What will fit will depend on the lintel height of the fireplace. Do you have the height and width of the fireplace opening? How deep is it?

1600 sq foot home....fireplace opening...28 inches tall...23 inches deep..32 inches wide...now the width is at the front of opening..it beveled towards the back...as far as depth the 23 inches I measured is what the current insert is..hard to measure real accurate where its beveled

You can bring your measurements into a stove store and see what they have to say. However, I have found that very few of ANY type of retail establishment (wood burning or not) really understand or know their products.

Basically - shop around, see what works well in an alcove (some manufacturers have some stoves designed for just that - thus they are short and rather shallow to fit into a fire place).

You'll need to read the install manual yourself and make sure the stove will fit. Not that hard to do, really. Just sit down and take 5-10 minutes to read it. Also for the lintel there will be specs there, too, so don't forget about the distance to combustables there, too.

For instance, Hearthstone has one for alcoves, called the Homestead.

There are some stoves that will vent vertical under a 28 inch lintel, but not as many as will vent out the back.

A Jotul F3 CB or Castine will fit if you either buy the short leg kit or cut the legs (up to 2.25 inches off, like the short leg kit).

The key measurement for the hearth is it has to be 16 inches from the front edge of the stove. Using the Castine we just ordered as an example, it's 23.25 inches deep, so you figure where the back of the stove will go and measure out 23.25 inches, and then 16 from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.