Stove Location Opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timfromohio

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2007
So I posted a while back about replacing a direct-vent gas log fireplace with a wood stove. Fast forward to now. We bought the house and I'm trying to figure out where to put stove.

House is a ~2,000 square feet on main level plus a room above the garage. 15' ceilings in open family room, dining room, kitchen. Basement is finished. SW Ohio. See attached pic for options.

Location 1 - original plan - remove gas logs, install rear vent stove, vent either out of the top of the bump out for the gas logs or go out the bump out and then straight up - I was thinking if I went out (potentially making use of the same location for the direct vent) I could install a tee and make chimney cleaning easier. Pro's of this are it would look good, but what do you guys think of the majority of the chimney being outside?

Location 2 - in location of built in bookcase - would have to remove this, but would have a long chimney run, probably 22' or more

Location 3 - in location of piano, same potential chimney issues as before

Wife doesn't want gas logs and stove, so 2 or 3 would necessitate removing gas logs anyway (I want to install them in basement - topic for different post). 2 or 3 might be cheaper in terms of pipe.

What do you guys think? Has anybody made use of a bump out like this for a stove? I can post a different pic of the bump out.

Attachments

• stove locations.pdf
    396.7 KB · Views: 143
Here's a higher resolution pic
100_4333.JPG
Here's back of bump out
100_4235.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the DV gas fireplace is out I think unless you were thinking of tearing it and the mantel out. If that is the case go straight up with the flue and don't worry about rear exit. FWIW, 22' chimney is not too high if the other locations look better.

Last edited:
Location 1 is the optimal place for radiant heat to reach all the areas that people are using without getting in the way. Outside chimneys are not as good as inside but it honestly is not as big a problem as some think. Moving heat around inside a home is a much greater problem and should be the first consideration, right after safety and the bookcase and piano are in front of high traffic areas and that is a safety issue for me.

BG - I was going to remove the dv fireplace, finish off the visible portion of the bumpout that is visible with non-combustible (tiled), and put stove partially in the opening or just in front of it - should be OK in terms of clearances with several of the stoves we're looking considering, but I figured it would need to be rear vent. I thought that the mantel would stay.

The mantel will present its own clearance issue where it projects from the wall. I would consider removing it completely. That gives you the option of a clean, vertical pipe straight up which will perform the best and is going to look better outside. Otherwise, the bumpout's depth is going to work against you. It will mean a long horiz. run to the tee (not good) and how will the chimney be braced up above? The chimney will need to be 16+ ft tall. I think that is going to look ugly at best.

The rear wall can be just clean drywall then, or tiled if preferred. You could put a door on the bumpout outdoors and use it as a garden or patio shed.

BG - making use of the bumpout as storage is an excellent idea! I had not thought of that. Thanks for the additional thoughts. If I go straight up and out I'm also not limited to rear-vent stoves. Was just trying to take up minimal real estate in the room, but might be the best overall solution.

Plan it carefully and it should look great. If you decide on a tile backwall, it could be framed with trim detail to match the doors on the sides and a more modest mantle cap. The main thing to remember will be rear clearances from the stove and the stove pipe. I would use double-wall stove pipe with its 6" clearance to maximize options and performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.