Stove model identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DmitryG

Nov 6, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Could you please help in identifying a stove model for fire inspection?
The stove rear plate with manufacturer and model is not readable. The front panel has EMPRESS logo. I tired contact Sherwood Inc support and unfortunately they were not able to trace it. Their Empress pellet stove is just a few years old. Mine seems much older, likely discontinued long ago (freeing up the name for re-use) which would also explain why it’s hard to find any reference to it online.
The stove pictures are attached.
The approx stove dimensions are
Height - 25 inches
Width- 25 inches
Depth -23 inches
DSC_0266.JPG DSC_0267.JPG DSC_0279.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I am drawing a total blank on this one. Looks to be not be terribly old. But I do hope that is double wall stove pipe. If not it is installed wrong.

It looks new enough that it should have a UL label. If you take a mirror can you see any label on the back of the stove?

What is the easiest way to find out if the pipe has double wall?

The easiest way is to reach up inside the flue collar from inside the stove. If you feel crimped pipe inside the flue collar then it is double wall pipe. If not it is single wall and slipped over the outside of the flue collar. A no no since creosote will drip down on top of the stove. I suspect it never would have passed a WETT inspection if it was single wall installed that way so it is probably double wall.

Yes... there is a label on the back. It is all black and unreadable.

It is worth trying the old trick of laying a piece of thin white paper over the label and lightly shading it with a lead pencil to see if you can get an image of the writing on the label.

The easiest way is to reach up inside the flue collar from inside the stove. If you feel crimped pipe inside the flue collar then it is double wall pipe. If not it is single wall and slipped over the outside of the flue collar. A no no since creosote will drip down on top of the stove. I suspect it never would have passed a WETT inspection if it was single wall installed that way so it is probably double wall.
Thank you... will give it a shot

It is worth trying the old trick of laying a piece of thin white paper over the label and lightly shading it with a lead pencil to see if you can get an image of the writing on the label.
Good advice... One more confirmation that everything NEW is a well forgotten thing. Will try it on the coming weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.