Stove not drawing properly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doc623

Jun 2, 2008
OH
We have a US stove - I think - add on wood and coal furnace/stove that is hooked directly into the the house duct system.
It has its own separate masonry chimney that is tile lined.
This last winter I noticed it was not drawing as well when I first fired/started the stove.
I know part of where to look and clean out such as the pipe that goes to the chimney and the chimney itself.
The question is what part of the stove should I be paying attention to as far as cleaning?
The inside has been cleaned from the firebox side.
I was thinking of removing the pipe that fastens to the stove and cleaning there.
However, I have never done this before and was wondering where to pay particular attention to and what to make sure that it is cleaned.
It seems to draw and function fine once the fire is going.
Or am I looking in the wrong place?
Thanks.

You need to disconnect the stove pipe from the back of the furnace and clean out the accumulated ash. There's probably also a baffle plate back there (inside the furnace just before the outlet) that should be cleaned as well. Then, take the rest of the stove pipe out of the chimney connector and check the chimney for creosote. A small mirror is one good way to look up your chimney. Chances are there is creosote the chimney, which will also need to be cleaned out. It's a dirty job, but you can do it yourself, including the chimney if you buy a brush and some fiberglass rods.

Thanks for the info.
I was thinking along these lines, but was a little timid as I have not taken the pipe off this stove.
I have cleaned the opening and the bottom of the chimney at our previous location.
The dirt does not bother me as it ususally washes off.
Tell me a little more about the fiberglass rods and the brush.

Determine whether your chimney liner is round or square and the size. You can buy a brush (steel or plastic--plastic is best for a stainless steel liner, but will work with ceramic as well) at Home Depot or Lowes, along with 4-foot fiberglass rods which screw together as you push the brush up (or down) your chimney. If you can get the brush and rods into the chimney from the basement, that's the easiest way to do the job. More likely, you'll need to get up on the roof and do the job from the top down. Or, hire someone to clean your chimney. Move the brush up and down the liner until most of the creosote has dropped down into the trap.

Do that at least once a year--more often if possible. Your draft will improve and you lessen the risk of a serious chimney fire.

WHATS UP DOC??? lol, Just saw your thread and it reminds me of a friend of mine he was getting bad draft after
a couple years of use and the end result was his chimney cap was pluged full of soot..Good luck you have a lot of time to get this chimney job done check your options! DAVE

Status
Not open for further replies.