stove not lighting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boysovsumr

Mar 6, 2014
pa
Hi! We have a 3 yo ashley king 5500m wood pellet stove. Clean it weekly. Thorough clean off season. It gave us difficulty firing up last week, but then did and we burned effectively for a week. We shut it down for cleaning, did our usual weekly clean and now it will not fire up. We called customer service who walked us through a test cycle . . . igniter gets warm/hot (she didn't think it needed replaced) BUT doesn't spark to start fire. Customer service said to take off exhaust blower and clean that out - we did, it was a bit dirty, BUT still doesn't fire up. No error codes show. When we go through the start up process, we wait about 10 min or 15, stopping the auger periodically so burn pot doesn't overflow. Sometimes we hear the build up whoo whoo of the fan (that would go to full fan when stove is working), but the igniter not warm or hot. Only gets warm now when we do the test cycle.
Do you think the igniter needs replaced? Maybe it is bad but not bad enough to throw off an error code? Please help! Thank you for reading this!

So the igniter will get hot in the test but not during operation? Have you tried to lite the stove manually?

We attempted it . . . but not sure if we were doing it right since no pellets lit. How do we go about starting it manually?

Both of those that Jackman said you can also throw a few squirts of Germ-x or the like. Lite it keep door cracked like 2-3" until the pellets catch then shut the feed door and press the ON button.

I have the same issue... my ignitor gets it warm, but doesn't actually combust it. I bought a new ignitor and everything, same thing. I gave up on it and just use gel once a week when i clean/restart it.

Thanks all,You are the Best!! While my husband went out to get propane torch and the gel,we had a duraflame log around used a small piece and it worked. I love my heat!!
Thanks again for the help Lyn

Ok so if it runs fine now that's good. The igniter can be too far recessed in the tube. From the rear of the unit there is a set screw that holds the igniter in. You can loosen and move the igniter forward some, but no more then flush with the tube. It should sit from flush to 1/8th" recessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.