Stove not shutting off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the switch is reading just one ohm when cold, it looks to me like it's ok. (I would have expected 0 ohms though. Your meter might be suspect with the numbers jumping around when the probes are touched together). I would heat the switch up on the stove or with a match and see if the resistance goes very high. Open on rise is definitely not a fail-safe method to test for proof of fire! Not much you can do about it, though.

Nope the 1 is off the scale as in open and it is incorrect in this case for a cold switch, open on rise switch.

Thanks for all the advise. I am going to replace the switch with a factory replacement.

I reinstalled the switch and plugged the stove back in and right away the fans started, probably because the board is getting
a bad reading from that switch so it thinks its above 120. The feed rate light will blink fast until the switch reaches 120 then
blink slow for 5 minutes before becoming steady and in "run" mode. I noticed upon pressing the start button that the feed rate light
was blinking slowly already with the stove cold.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
My manual suggests using a lighter to heat the switch to test it. It doesn't take long for the switch to heat up - protect your fingers, too.

Nope the 1 is off the scale as in open and it is incorrect in this case for a cold switch, open on rise switch.

Learn something new every day! Mine reads OL on open circuit. Damn Chinese.;)

Learn something new every day! Mine reads OL on open circuit. Damn Chinese.;)

I suspect it depends on the particular unit and maybe even the state of the battery. I have a day/date/clock/moon/sun/weather unit that as the batteries in it degrade the number of sensors that go blank increase until you get the hint that you should replace the batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.