Stove on second floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironworker

Burning Hunk
Dec 3, 2011
Upstate NY
I have a two story 3200 sq. ft. Center hall colonial with a bonus room over the garage and would like to install a second stove in this room, something small. I have an insert downstairs and it does a good job of heating my home, only needing to fire up the boiler a couple of times a year. The bonus room only gets up to about 62 degrees and I would like to spend more time in there. My concern is will it effect the draft and will it get too hot.

What is the bonus room size? Approximately how tall would the chimney be?

Sounds good. How tall is the ceiling? You should do fine with a smaller stove. If you are just going to burn nights and weekends something in the 1-1.5 cu ft range would be fine. If the weather is mild just build a smaller fire and let it burn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.