Stove on the way!!! Final vent plan help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelb

Nov 1, 2011
Southern PA
TimberRidge Multi-Fuel 49-TRCPM is being delivered soon. Still working out vent install. I am horizontal out the wall, then cleanout Tee, then vertical termination 2ft-ish above roofline. Am terminating vertically because it's facing the prevailing wind. Going out directly between the 2 windows in the picture. I was interested in the Selkirk Direct Temp. Looks like Direct Temp would STILL require me to punch out another hole thru the wall for the OAK because you connect it above/after the Tee. Is that correct? If so, I don't think I'll gain a lot by going that way, and have 10 feet of external vertical so maybe the exhaust would get cooled too much with Direct Temp.

Given that, throwing Direct Temp out the window. I have an ICC Excel dealer near me with stock on-site, am probably going the Excel route. I also like the cleanout Tee they have with the access panel for horizontal cleaning, and their adjustable wall support (1" to 5" clearance).

I'm planning on getting 2 quotes, one for 3" and one for 4" pipe. If there's not much difference, will go with 4" just in case I buy a stove that requires 4" in the future. Then if I ever want a new stove, I just need to worry about patching the hole in the wall and adjusting for new pellet stove exhaust height.

Hoping to pull a bit more info from you guys before I pull the trigger on venting:

1. Does anyone see any flaws or am I incorrect in any of this so far?

I have vinyl siding and there is a 4" roof overhang I need to sneak past. Pipe will be at least 5" away from the vinyl siding to get 1" clearance of the roof overhang. Assuming I won't have issues with melting vinyl with 5" clearance?

2. Excel documentation states wall support handles 17ft of pipe (even more if 3" pipe). I think I just need ONE wall support near the roof line...anyone disagree?

I could attach the wall support to the vinyl siding (adjust support to 5" clearance), or to the side of the metal roof (adjust support to 1" clearance).

3. Screwing the wall support directly into the vinyl siding seems bad. Would probably try to find some sort of vinyl siding mount first, j-channel that, and then attach the vent wall support to that. Is this the best way to do it?

4. Even easier, I could just screw the wall support directly into the side of the metal roof. It already has screws in it, they have some sort of plastic/rubber washer I assume to ensure it's sealed. Seems like this is the quickest/cleanest route to go? Can you guys think of any problems with this?

Thanks to EVERYONE who has and who is helping me through this!!!

-Michael

Attachments

• P1010033a.jpg
    P1010033a.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 334
Go with the 4". I have the excel vent and really like it. I have taken it apart for cleanings and reassembled and never had any problems with leaks.

You're gonna love the ICC Excel pipe. Just make sure you use vegetable oil or cooking spray on the silicon gaskets before you assemble the pipe pieces. It will make things easier and reduce the risk of leaks or possibly damaging the gaskets. One other note on the pipe. If you go with 4 inch instead of 3 inch the gaskets sometimes don't want to stay in there place as well so the utmost care and time taking will be important. Good Luck and Congrats!!!

Cool, thank you. Seems like I'm on the right track.

Anyone have thoughts about only using one Wall Support, attaching to vinyl or side of metal roof, and if I should use a vinyl siding mount vs just screwing through the vinyl?

Unfortunately I may not be able to get to the actual install until after x-mas...we'll have to see.

michaelb said:
TimberRidge Multi-Fuel 49-TRCPM is being delivered soon......
Looks good to me.

Can't wait to see pics of another 10-cpm fired up. :)

Don't forget to pre-burn it outside on the driveway for about 3 hours on 5-5.

Status
Not open for further replies.