Stove opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yak651

Mar 21, 2008
North Eastern WI
Looking to supplement heat in my basement I'm finishing off, about 1,000 sq. feet. Looking at St. Croix Hastins and Harman P43. Both about $3.3k for stove, venting, installation, 600 lbs pellets and "log sets". Any opinons on these stoves and prices? Searched and found some comments on both, going to look a little more but want to decide before finishing my framing of basement in case i need to make some modifications to my basement layout.

I was looking at both the Harman stoves and the St. Croix Hastings. For me, I really wanted a cast iron so the Harman's I looked at were the accentra and xxv vs the Hastings. I ended up getting the xxv because of the dealer and I'm extremely happy with the stove. I was told many times that the dealer is an important factor.. perhaps the most important.

My 2 cents.. if the dealers are comparable, I think you'd be happy with the Harman... but I think the price of the Hastings may be a better deal... as I recall the Hastings was $800 dollars more than the 43 when I was looking. One thing I'd recommend you research further on this board regarding the Hastings is the Versagrate system...... lots of complaints but there may be simple fixes.

yak651 said:
Looking to supplement heat in my basement I'm finishing off, about 1,000 sq. feet. Looking at St. Croix Hastins and Harman P43. Both about $3.3k for stove, venting, installation, 600 lbs pellets and "log sets". Any opinons on these stoves and prices? Searched and found some comments on both, going to look a little more but want to decide before finishing my framing of basement in case i need to make some modifications to my basement layout.

No real opinion on the stoves, but log sets for pellet stoves are not worth the $$ unless it comes free w/ the stove. makes cleaning harder to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.