Stove or chimney first?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
Just thought I'd bounce something off you guys to make sure I'm not taking something into account in my decision. Would it make much difference if you installed your chimney first, then the hearth pad and then the stove or if you did the pad and stove and then did the chimney?

It depends! ;)

It can, of course, be done either way, but I'd pick the stove first. If you decide to go straight up with it, and did the chimney first, you may have to use an offset if you get a low clearance stove and want the stove close to the wall.

Matt

I'm putting on the heat shield on the Oslo and using double wall pipe so the clearance is 6" for both.

Fortunately, since I am going out 6" from the wall, the joists shouldn't be a problem but they guy who is helping me install the chimney is stopping by on Friday to measure everything. And with some incredibly good timing, Menard's just put Supervent on sale.

I'm not an Installer, first of all..........so all I can tell you is what the "Professionals" did in my home.

They FIRST figured out which side of the peak the chimney was gonna go, based on where we wanted the stove. Then they ordered the necessary pipe sections and baffles and such, to accomplish that. It was at THIS time that they figured out where the pipe would have to go thru the ceiling, and which joists to go between. They marked out the ceiling and scribed an appropriate Ø (diameter) for the piping.

The next day, they laid the "Base Plate" (I call it........."Hearth Pad" .........whatever), in orientation to the hole they were about to cut in the ceiling. They cut the ceiling hole, put the Baffle (there may be another name for this too, but I don't know what it is........."collar" perhaps), in place and THEN placed the stove in position on the Hearth Pad.

From there, it was the install of the piping, from the stove up, and thru the attic and roof.

Here's a brief video slideshow of the installation:

Status
Not open for further replies.