Stove or zero clearance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mobetter

Dec 17, 2008
Indiana
Are the new ZC fireplace/heaters nearly as efficient as a freestanding stove? Or are they a waste of wood and useless without a fan constantly blowing?

I would be using the heat source 24/7 and mostly need to keep the open area (~1000 s.f.)where the unit is located comfortable.

I have read that insurance companies are more lenient on ZCs compared to free-standers. Has anyone had one then changed out to the other?

Can a ZC heat an area without power for the fan. Remember I'm asking about a EPA fireplace i.e. Kozy Z42/Quad 7100, not an insert in an existing masonry fireplace.

Thanks,

In this case I would prefer a freestanding stove. The ZC fireplaces mentioned are big units and would likely overwhelm a 1000 sq ft space, (unless this is connected to a larger overall house space). For 24/7 heating maybe consider a Woodstock stove (soapstone catalytic).

The total s.f. is ~2400 but the area we spend 95% of our waking hours is ~1000. If it were a total new install a freestanding stove would be my choice. The problem I have is there was a large direct vent gas fireplace in the house when we bought it. It is located in a corner and will be the logical location of the wood burning unit. A zero clearance would fit into the existing corner with a little re-framing, and of course a new chimney system. The gas burner must go, but I want a reliable, efficient stove/fireplace to replace it with. I really like the fireview, but with a side load and corner install, it seems this option would be difficult at best. Has anyone put a fireview in a corner? I see the rear clearences are quite large, perhaps it could work.

I have a PE Alderlea in a corner installation. It has nice close clearances, generous firebox, front loading and good burn times. Worth a look.

Thanks,

Do you have a pic, or link to one of your corner install?

A ZC EPA fireplace will heat the area you describe. They are most certainly not a waste of wood. I have the Kozy Heat, and I pretty easily heat my open concept 1800 above ground sq ft. You can burn my fireplace with out the fan on, but I usually have it on. At medium speed, it is quite quiet. Within a few days, you rarely even notice it. The advantace to a stove is you get more radiant heat, as all sides are exposed to the interior of your home. The ZC EPA's are an excellent alternative however, and work great without eating up floor space.

Thanks,

You have a nice set-up there. I'm still on the fence, but with all the good info on this site I will be making a well informed choice . Again thanks to all for their input.

Status
Not open for further replies.