Stove over fires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelS

Nov 4, 2006
Southwest Missori
With all the talk of glowing stoves and running too hot, my question is can you over fire a stove that is properly installed and all gaskets in place? I know bad gaskets, too much draft and cracks can cause an over fire, but what about filling the firebox full of properly seasoned wood? Thanks Michael

Give any stove too much primary air for too long with a load of wood and you can overfire it.

BB, if you can overfire fire it with to much primary air why do you think they put a BTU rating on the max air setting? Also this is purely for learning and I am not arguing with your response at all.

The max BTU rating for mine is 75,000 with cordwood under test conditions. Be damned if I am ever going there. I am kinda fond of that wall.

This is one of my pet peeves with stove manufacturers. Every one of them warns of overfiring and killing the warranty but I only recall seeing two that stated what constituted overfiring. One said over 600 and the other said over 700.

How hot do you figure that stove would be to be putting out 75,000 BTU? What is the hottest you feel comfortable running your stove at? I have been running mine at 450 to 500.

i think the amount of surface area at X at amount of temp gives you the btu that the stove can put out. So its not how hot the stove can get, its how much stove you have.

BrotherBart said:
The max BTU rating for mine is 75,000 with cordwood under test conditions. Be damned if I am ever going there. I am kinda fond of that wall.

This is one of my pet peeves with stove manufacturers. Every one of them warns of overfiring and killing the warranty but I only recall seeing two that stated what constituted overfiring. One said over 600 and the other said over 700.

Same thing here - the Ultima manual does not define overfiring. It lists "high" (wide-open air) operation at 55,000 BTU and "medium" (1/4 open air) as 30,000 BTU, and doesn't give BTU numbers for completely closed. These are clearly bogus numbers, I see 55,000 on a lot of stoves so it must come from some standard calculation.

I did, however, find an interesting tidbit in the glossy brochure for the stove not found in the manual: They have an hour-by-hour chart of stove temperatures for an overnight burn. First hour is listed as 800 deg. F. Most on this board would probably consider that pretty close to overfiring, although I've crossed it more than once.

BrotherBart said:
My Lopi manual defines overfiring as over 800 on the front of stove top directly over the door. I've only hit 800 twice. Each time because I was still learning how to use the stove. Most times now I run it about 5-650. When its really cold (<15) I'll get it up to 700. I've found the key to my stove to keeping it under control is when I load it up for the night to pack the wood as tightly as possible. It all gets loaded front to back and packed as tight as I can get it with the coals in the front by the air.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.