Stove paint curing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
I must say, when the paint on my insert cured, there was no smoke & fumes were minimal & bearable.
While experiencing a stoves paint curing at first fire up, it smoked some and was much stronger odor wise than I had experienced with mine.
This is not a mine , those thing. I am just stating that even different paints act differently. One must always be aware of simple things like this. One curing paint no prob, another, made my eyes burn and I was a lil caught off guard & slightly worried at first. So many things to learn & so many different experiences with similar processes.
Never take things as standard, or for granted. Simple things can teach alot.

Good observation. The paint curing is one time it is nice to be able to open a door or window if you have that option! One difference between stoves and inserts is that generally the outside skin of the insert doesn't get as hot as as the outside of a stove. The inside skin of an insert which does see stove-like temperatures usually isn't painted.

I wonder if there are any paints on the market that are specifically 'low or no odor'? I haven't really noticed any of those claims in the stove paint section.

Corey

I didn't think the odor or smoke from the paint curing on my insert was too bad at all. I did open a couple of windows in the basement before I lit the first fire, but probably could have gotten away without doing it.

Cozy you point out a very good fact. The freestanding will take more heat tot the walls, top etc. But what about a Summit freestanding........ basically an Insert with legs & no surround & casing? Would this smoke & smell more? My insert was not bad at all, didn't even need to open a window.
I am sure the brand/type paint also plays a big role.
BB was smart he painted & cured his outside, of course then he had to do it 2x :)

The latest stove you smelled curing was different in two ways:

1. It was a recent repaint and hadn't been sitting a warehouse for a while. And I would bet that Corie puts more paint on a stove than a manufacturer does.

2. You were drinking different brands of beer when you fired them up.

BrotherBart said:
The latest stove you smelled curing was different in two ways:

1. It was a recent repaint and hadn't been sitting a warehouse for a while. And I would bet that Corie puts more paint on a stove than a manufacturer does.

2. You were drinking different brands of beer when you fired them up.

No beer, I was still trying to get the taste of that yuppie beer he drinks outa my mouth from the night before.
Even with a mechanical engineer degree, He could still use a lesson in beer, taste & style :)

Status
Not open for further replies.