Stove performance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kversch

Dec 26, 2014
New York
why is it that with the warmer temps latel. 30's at night 40-50's In The day it seems like my stove is just way easier to get humming along with out spikes or crazy high temps. She runs nicely in the 5-600 range good secondary's all the time. No change in the wood type or moisture, just in the weather/season.

In the colder months the stove seems like it would scream. With 700-800 easily all the time with raging secondary's.

Less draft when it's warmer out. How tall is your chimney? The Liberty like to run, from what I understand...

Reactions: Huntindog1
Not sure of the science behind it but maybe it is the temp differential between outside and inside. As Woody says, colder drier equals more draft. Draft is the engine driving these stoves. More draft equals more air into the secondary burn tubes = fires of he77 in the top of your stove!!!

Reactions: Huntindog1
I get just the same thing. My stove burns much more controllably in milder temps - sometimes, if I have really dry wood in the colder weather, it's hard work to keep the stovetop below 600, and that's with having already dialed down the air as far as it goes before the temps have even hit 350, which is when the secondaries usually kick in.

I decided last year to give it one more winter before deciding if I should get a damper installed and I think I will. Sounds like it could be the same for you?

40-50's In The day it seems like my stove is just way easier to get humming along with out spikes or crazy high temps. She runs nicely in the 5-600 range good secondary's all the time.
Sure wish that was the case with my stove. As I type this its 50 outside and the night load is heading for 800+ degrees with the air shut down

I get just the same thing. My stove burns much more controllably in milder temps - sometimes, if I have really dry wood in the colder weather, it's hard work to keep the stovetop below 600, and that's with having already dialed down the air as far as it goes before the temps have even hit 350, which is when the secondaries usually kick in.

I decided last year to give it one more winter before deciding if I should get a damper installed and I think I will. Sounds like it could be the same for you?
I know some will not be as simple as mine but for the price of a damper and a cobalt drill bit, it was worth it. I was able to dial mine back with the damper in the snout. Not ideal that I have to reach around the hot rock to adjust it but it did work. I am curious about the amount of soot I get out of the pipe this year though.

Not sure of the science behind it but maybe it is the temp differential between outside and inside.

That is exactly how and why a chimney works.

Reactions: Smoked
Sure wish that was the case with my stove. As I type this its 50 outside and the night load is heading for 800+ degrees with the air shut down
You need a damper or something...Have you replaced your gaskets lately? At least you don't have to worry about creosote:)

You need a damper or something...Have you replaced your gaskets lately? At least you don't have to worry about creosote:)
I have made up my mind this summer THERE WILL BE A DAMPER INSTALLED IN THIS PIPE. Can't be doing this all the time. Got the air holes covered with foil and its still holding at 750. Door makes a nice tight fit to the face of the stove so gasket is good. No creosote here. I clean the flue every two years and get a hand full of black powder the consistency of flour. Burning 5 year old ash right now so that might have something to do with it.

Reactions: Smoked
Status
Not open for further replies.