Stove performance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just installed and is now operational. Lopi Endeavor wood stove. I purchased this stove primarily based on salespersons input. I told him size of house, expectations etc. Just so happens he has this same model in his home. So he is intimate with performance. Well,....long story short. It is not putting out the heat I was "expecting". I was expecting outrageous heat. Window opening heat in 20 degree weather is what I was expecting. It has not been very cold, yet, here in NY. 27 was coldest and I had this stove cranking. It was warm in same room with stove, 78. 70 just above in next floor. Is there a "break in period"? or ...am I expecting too much?

Wood I've put in is at least 2 years old. All hardwood. I have a thermometer on flue, eye level, the hottest its shown was 525. But with that, I was working hard to get it that way....

Not sure if I should have purchased the larger one but now it looks like I made a mistake...expensive one!

thanks for your input!

Can you give us a play-by-play of how you're running the stove?

The flue temp seems high to me, but I'm not familiar with that stove. My first thought though is that your air control is too open sending too much heat up and out.

-SF

How large is oyur house, how well insulated? how are you operating the stove, what type of wood?? oak, poplar? Give us the details and we will get ya figgerd out.

ok...here goes.

there are two adjustments: air control and then there is the flue opening. Both are wide open. Reason I have the air control open is that I see that it makes the fire wake up and roar. I interpret this as having it work at its "full speed mode".

I've loaded it up and had door open 2 inches, air control full open and flue full open. Flames get wild and loud. Flue temp climbs. When I'm not babysitting fire, the glass door is closed and air adjuster is varying from closed completely to full open(when full open, still doesn't get hot ...300 degree flue temp at best or hottest.

does this help?

house is brand new. built in 04. I am original owner. Stick frame built, regular fiberglass insulation, double paned thermal windows. First floor of house is studio set up. No interior walls. You can see the entire house from any corner. Bedrooms upstairs. Basement and two floors. ~ 2400 sq. ft. Stove is on cultured stone with cultured stone surrounding it. 5 -6 feet of single wall interior pipe..goes through wall with insulated pipe. 30' of SS 6' double wall insulated pipe up the side of the house.

Yes it helps, your running your stove wrong.

First get a surface magentic thermometer on the stove top middle, then light your fire, get it going with a couple of small splits down to a decent coal bed, when stove top drops to around 300, refill stove, keep air control wide open for+- 10 minutes to let the wood start to char, then in increments lower air control to almost closed, watch for secondary gas ignition and let her roll, the stove top temp should climb once the air is lowered and secondaries are cranking. Try that an see it it helps. There is a video around showing the steps, maybe some has the link to it.

Thanks didnt have it handy

i just read my manual, online. i was suppose to have the by pass valve closd completely during regular operation. I had it open all the time. So I was not able to utilize the re burn process. All my heat was going right up the chimney. Running it now, the right way. DUH, on my part. A little reading....

Status
Not open for further replies.