Stove pipe 22 gauge??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well 22 gauge is thicker than 24 or 26. It also is usually welded at the seems at the factory, then shipped. Hardware store stuff gets shipped flat and then you have roll it into shape. I think it's a matter of durability.

I used 22 ga. in my shop (I installed)...the installer who put the Lopi in the house used 24 ga. They both get the flue gases to where they need to be. Rick

EDIT: 22 ga. will come with a longer warranty, as it's bound to last longer before deteriorating than 24 ga. Regardless of which guage, most stovepipe is sold ready to install. 22 ga. commonly does have welded seams, while 24 ga. has some sort of continuous lock seam, but even the thinner 24 ga. is typically sold already round & ready to go.

I just came across some really cheap stainless 6" flue pipe.

Can you use 30g or 26g for a wood stove or a fireplace insert?

Thanks,
Kevin

We'll only install the 22 GA stuff. It's heavier, its welded seam so you dont have to worry about the seam popping on you and it looks much nicer. Is it worth 2-3x the cost of the snap pipe? Thats up to the consumer. If I have a client that needs to save a few bucks, I'll tell them to go to the hardware store and buy the cheap stuff and we'll install it for them.

I have access to 30+ feet of the 26 gauge. I want to know if in the long term it is a bad decision.

is it black pipe or stainless, is it going to be used to line the chimney on your insert? Black pipe, any gauge is not to be used as a liner. Light gauge stainless still, I would have no problem with if it was the right nickle content ect.

It is 26 gauge stainless. I want to try to run two flues up the same 12x12 chimney. The building inspector has no problem with the idea. I can get 30+ feet of it for really cheap, should be enough to make it to the roof on my single story ranch.

type 304 stainless? If it was type 304 and you were only burning wood in them, I would see no problem with doing it.

Alright cool, I think the smaller gauge would be easier to run the chimney flue and I might have enough room to run the second one...

Thanks for your help.

Can I get a second opinion? Does anyone else have the 26 gauge flue run to the roof?

Thanks,
Kevin

Just called the guy to follow up, the flues are galvanized, not stainless... he has 30+ feet of the 26 gauge and 15 feet of 30 gauge... but are 6 inch diameter. What are the rules with using galvanized vs using stainless?

Thanks

The rules are DONT use galv pipe as a liner. I know its hard to pass up a good deal, but your better off saving up and doing it right.

Alright, that answers my question... such a good deal though hahaha. I'll have to keep looking for the stainless.

man bro dont use the galv for gods sake and what is the second flu gonna be used for

Want to run a wood insert and a wood stove on either side of the chimney back to back in different rooms. Gonna be a squeeze...

I bought the Heat-Fab 22 gauge pipe when I installed my stove and I'm impressed with it. I was amazed at how thick it was. It has the welded seem and looks nice. I got the 38" to 70" slip pipe. I decided to go with single wall since I was good on the clearances. I hope it lasts for some time.

Does anyone know typically how long the 22 gauge will last? I know it will probably vary based on several factors.

Franks said:
With just burning wood and without a lot of water getting down the pipe you should be good for 10 years +

Great.

Thanks.

k3c4forlife said:
Want to run a wood insert and a wood stove on either side of the chimney back to back in different rooms. Gonna be a squeeze...

With two stoves going, that could be a hot flue. Even if an interior pipe insulation would be good here. What is the current clay tile size in this flue and what is the height of the chimney?

Status
Not open for further replies.