Stove pipe adapter question 6" to 8"...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinK

Jan 15, 2010
Hudson Valley NY
I will be connecting my Oslo stove (with 6" outlet/exhaust) via 6" double-wall stove pipe to an 8" Supervent (model JSC) Insulated pipe, ...and I need a 6" to 8" adapter to do so.
(I do have these questions out to Menard's, ...but thought to ask here as well...)
My questions...
1.) Does an adapter exist to go from 6" directly to the Supervent (JSC) 8"?
(The thru-the-wall kit does come with the 8" stovepipe to 8" JSC, ...just wondering if a 6" to 8" exists)
2.) Are the 6" to 8" adapters offered in double wall, or only single?

3.) Does anyone know the PN's for any of the above that exist?

I was recently at a Lowe's store where they did have a (single wall) 8" to 6" adapter. However it was crimped, ......on the 8" end.....????? Doesn't that seem backwards? ...since the the inserted (crimped) ends of the pipe should always be pointing downward when installed (for dripping/drainage purposes)?
I would think the 8" end needs to be UN-crimped, ...where the 6" end would be crimped?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Kevin

Hey there...

I just had an installation that included 6" double wall stove pipe converted to 8", so I can tell you this is a common installation. Mine converts just as it goes into the wall (mine's a through-the-wall installation), by means of an "adapter" piece. The 6" fits into this 8" piece before it penetrates the wall, thus converting to the 8" prior to exiting the house.

Good luck in your install. That's all I can offer for now!

Mr. Kelly said:
Hey there...

I just had an installation that included 6" double wall stove pipe converted to 8", so I can tell you this is a common installation. Mine converts just as it goes into the wall (mine's a through-the-wall installation), by means of an "adapter" piece. The 6" fits into this 8" piece before it penetrates the wall, thus converting to the 8" prior to exiting the house.

Good luck in your install. That's all I can offer for now!

...I suspect it is fairly common.
Let me ask, ...on YOUR install, ...is the 6"-8" adapter double wall?
...also does it go from 6" directly to the 8" (insulated) through the wall pipe?
...OR is it 6" pipe to 8"pipe, ......then to the insulated thru-the wall pipe?

Thanks,
Kevin

I would buy the 6-8 DW Increaser and install it to the chimney pipe adapter in the wall. Your local hearthshop may have this in stock. Go see them before they close their doors and go work for Zoobler.

KevinK said:
...also does it go from 6" directly to the 8" (insulated) through the wall pipe?

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

My install runs w. the 6" double wall chimney pipe penetrating this adapter piece (might be a few inches long), that then connects on the inside of the room to a 12" long 8" double wall pipe that runs through the wall to the "T" piece outside which diverts the chimney 90 degrees upward. Did that make sense?

I can't answer specifically if the adapter is actually double wall. Not sure on that one. I suspect it is either double wall, or it is made in a way that surpasses double wall specifications. My guess, is that this particular adapter will only connect to a double wall system, and that there is a different one for single wall pipe.

Hope this helps!

Mr. Kelly said:
KevinK said:

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

My install runs w. the 6" double wall chimney pipe penetrating this adapter piece (might be a few inches long), that then connects on the inside of the room to a 12" long 8" double wall pipe that runs through the wall to the "T" piece outside which diverts the chimney 90 degrees upward. Did that make sense?

I can't answer specifically if the adapter is actually double wall. Not sure on that one. I suspect it is either double wall, or it is made in a way that surpasses double wall specifications. My guess, is that this particular adapter will only connect to a double wall system, and that there is a different one for single wall pipe.

Hope this helps!

...So, ...you're saying ...your adapter connects 6" double wall to the 8" insulated pipe that passes through the wall ( to the 'T')?

Thanks,
Kevin

Yup, that's it.

Now that I'm home, I can describe a little better: The "adapter" is simply a fairly narrow connector that fits around (and is screwed to) the 8" double wall that is coming through the wall. It is really only about an inch and a half wide around the 8". The adapter has a 6" connector coming off of it that the 6" double wall fits around, and which is also screwed together. Not much to it, really. It's not much different than a piece that converts PVC pipe from one diameter to another. Same idea.

I can't tell if the adapter just slips over the 8" d/w, or whether it twists on, similar to the outdoor chimney pipe. If it just slips over, you could use any adapter for any brand of stove pipe or 8". I do know that the 6" side just slips on (after removing the screws), as the installer said that this is where I'd disassemble if I wanted to clean the pipes.

Mr. Kelly said:
Yup, that's it.

Now that I'm home, I can describe a little better: The "adapter" is simply a fairly narrow connector that fits around (and is screwed to) the 8" double wall that is coming through the wall. It is really only about an inch and a half wide around the 8". The adapter has a 6" connector coming off of it that the 6" double wall fits around, and which is also screwed together. Not much to it, really. It's not much different than a piece that converts PVC pipe from one diameter to another. Same idea.

I can't tell if the adapter just slips over the 8" d/w, or whether it twists on, similar to the outdoor chimney pipe. If it just slips over, you could use any adapter for any brand of stove pipe or 8". I do know that the 6" side just slips on (after removing the screws), as the installer said that this is where I'd disassemble if I wanted to clean the pipes.

I'd have to assume the 8" pipe going thru the wall is of the insulated type (ie. http://www.kschimney.com/store/scim/prod/941/d/lg_940.jpg ), ...and not simply double wall pipe (I don't believe code allows that)...?

This is the type of adaptor, that adapts regular stove pipe (double or single wall) to the insulated pipe. This one is simply 8" to 8" http://www.kschimney.com/store/scim/prod/1287/d/lg_559.jpg ...the one end matches up to the insulated pipe, ...and TWIST locks in place.
Are you saying you have this type of adaptor, ...that goes from the 8" "insulated" pipe directly to the 6" (double-wall)?

For reference, ...this is a "REDUCER" (NOT an expander) http://docs.hdpi.com/product_enlarged/metalbestos_6-8in_DSP_reducer.jpg
...implying that it "reduces" from 8" to 6", ...where as I need an "expander" going from 6" to 8". The difference being,....which end is crimped.

I'm not trying to 'beat a dead horse', ...but I'm a bit surprised I have yet to come across an 'expander' going from 6" to 8"....
...I will eventually, ....(I hope :) )

Skier76 said:
Not sure if this helps or not... I had a similar issue myself: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/39998/

I found the expander/reducer at the store we bought the stove from. Luckily, the guy gave me the right one when we picked up the stove....or maybe that's all he had in stock.

Actually that DOES help, ...from your post, "I bought a reducer/expander when we picked up the stove. The 6” end is crimped, the 8” end is smooth", ...it confirms the 8-6 adapter is available, ...crimped on the 6" end ;), ...which at this time is what I'm focusing on trying to find.

Cool! Guess I should have read my thread before I posted the link. :lol:

I got the pipe at Fireplace Village in Keene, NH. They have a number of stores in NH. http://www.fireplacevillage.net/

At least you know it's out there! I'm sure you'll find it after digging around. Keep me posted!

OK, ...I have the PN's I need :)

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, ...however one of my concerns was that the "Stovepipe Adapter" supplied with the Thru the wall kit (Supervent Kit#JSC8WSK) is a SINGLE wall adapter.
I needed to connect to IT from the double wall (6") black stovepipe, ...yet it being single wall technically would require 18" clearance (whereas with double wall you're down to 6"). Additionally, connecting to it with a double wall 6" to 8" adapter (increaser) would leave an 'unfinished' look of the outer crimped (8" od) pipe being visible.

The net of what's needed is the following TWO parts:

1.) DSPI-68 (Part Code 266308) - This is the double-wall increaser to go from 6" to 8"
http://www.ventingpipe.com/metalbest-dspi68-6-to-8-stove-pipe-increaser/p1069039
2.) DSPFB (Part Code 266261) - A Finishing Band that serves the purpose of covering up the crimped 8" OD pipe on the increaser, ...AND acts as a second wall for the stove-pipe adapter (that is single wall).
http://www.ventingpipe.com/metalbest-dspfb-6-8-stove-pipe-finishing-band/p1069661

...just an FYI, ...I did (special) order these parts through Lowes for less than the links above.

I did talk to a rep from Supervent (very helpful by the way) that confirmed the above, ...and also to note that she did not believe there is an adapter to go directly from 6" double wall to (twist-lock) insulated pipe.

Thanks,
Kevin

Skier76 said:
Nice! So you'll be ready to rock once those come in?

...some brick work, ...and get the chimney up, ...should be soon ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.