Stove pipe / chimney ordering help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DonNC

Jan 3, 2011
Fayetteville, NC
Hello

I've been planning a wood stove for a while now and plan to install within 2 weeks. I have settled on ordering the pipe / chimney from Northline express and am going with the duravent products. (dvl pipe and duratech chimney--- 6") I just want to make sure I dont short myself a required part that brings the installation to a halt when the time comes.

The installation is straight up through the ceiling and into the attic, and then continuing through the roof (low slope 3 - 12).
The stove is 32" and the ceiling is 8 feet high. That leaves me with 5' and change to use the DVL stove pipe on. Im going with one unit of adjustable (68" max) pipe.
The attic space is 45" and since Im right near the ridge line I plan on putting 4' on top of the roof.

The transition to class A chimney is where I am uncertain. Im hitting a 16" gap between the 2x4s at the ceiling and Im not sure what type of support box Ill need and what parts Ill need to transition from the pipe to the chimney at the support box.

In the attic I know I need the insulation guard, and on the roof I have no problem. I know this is really a simple thing for some of you. Please chime in

Thanks

Some people may have thought it odd to ask what I asked here but when I ordered from northerntool (which I later cancelled) they sold me 3 lengths of 36" triple wall along with the basic kit. That would not have worked for me. The support box would have been too big and the pipe was the wrong lengths to hit it where it should be.

At your suggestion I did try northernExpress help line and they asked the setup I have and went through the parts one by one. I pretty much nailed it except for one missing part that would have set me back a week. Adapter from dvl to support.

Later on when I get it put together Ill post pics of the job and finish.

Its a Drolet Sahara in single story w/attic, low slope.

Thanks for the response.

Don

Hi Don,

You're fortunate I wasn't online when you posted, or I would have chimed in with all sorts of half-baked advice. :)

I'm glad you got it sorted out, and hope you do post pics of your job.

Good luck, and happy burning!

Status
Not open for further replies.